June and July are generally quiet months in South Florida poker, with a good number of players out in Las Vegas at the World Series of Poker. But the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino is already getting players revved up for six weeks from now.
The Seminole Hard Rock Poker Open will take place from July 28 to Aug. 16. The poker room is already giving away seats, with the idea that players in smaller tournaments — and bankrolls — have a chance at playing in the main event, which offers $5 million in prize money.
The card room has $135 “Step Satellites” into the $5 Million Guaranteed Championship at 11 a.m. the next two Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. The four-seat guarantee puts players into a “Mega Satellite,” which normally costs $570.
The Monday Night Special at 6 p.m. June 20 features a $20,000 guaranteed prize pool with a $200 buy-in. Players receive $50 for every player they eliminate. The winner gets a seat into the $5,250 SHRPO main event.
The Tuesday Night Special at 6 p.m. June 28 costs $150 and also awards a main event seat.
There is a four-seat guarantee on 6 p.m. satellites on June 23 and 30, where each winner will earn a $1,100 buy-in into Event 24 at the SHRPO featuring a $500,000 guarantee. The satellites will feature a buy-in of $135.
There also are four-seat guarantees on 6 p.m. satellites June 17 and 24, where each winner will earn a $2,650 buy-in into Event 23 featuring a $1 million guarantee. The satellites cost $300.
Meanwhile, there are incentives to play cash this month: The first 250 players to earn more than 60 hours of live play before June 30 will become eligible for a free roll at 3 p.m. on July 8, which awards main event seats to the top two finishers and other entries to everyone in the top 45.
Go to SHRPO.com for more info.
Jaclynn Moskow, a 31-year-old doctor from South Florida who began playing big-money poker in 2013, has created news in the national poker scene via a 4,370-word account on her site, JaclynnMoskow.com.
Moskow, who plays high-stakes cash games at local card rooms, claims that after a December 2014 taping of “Poker Night in America” in Pittsburgh, the show’s creative director, Nolan Dalla, stuck his face between her breasts and shook his face back and forth, an act known as “motorboating.” Dalla has denied the claim.
Moskow also claims other show employees made anti-Semitic statements and grabbed her behind.
Moskow grew up in Boynton Beach, graduated from Atlantic High and eventually became a doctor of osteopathic medicine at Nova Southeastern University, which still publishes research she conducts.
Car promos at Calder, Hialeah
Two Miami-Dade casinos have big car giveaways coming up:
▪ Calder Casino draws the names of three qualifying slot players from 6-9 p.m. on Saturdays, including on June 26, the date of a Nissan Maxima giveaway. Other patrons can win up to $10,000 each of the next two Saturdays.
▪ Hialeah Park is leading up to a July 2 Mercedes-Benz giveaway. Players who earn at least 100 slot points receive an extra entry into the big drawing.
▪ Casino Miami has a Father’s Day giveaway from 3 p.m. to midnight Sunday. Hourly drawing prizes include Invicta watches, Art of Shaving kits and $2,000 cash.
▪ Miccosukee Resort & Gaming offers free Everglades tours and village admission to fathers, and has three buffet offerings Sunday: From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the second floor ballroom, brunch is $35.95, $17.95 for children; from noon to 11 p.m at the Empeeke Aaweeke restaurant it’s $23.95, $13.95; and from 12:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Café Hammock it’s $15.95, $10.95.
▪ Mardi Gras’s French Quarter restaurant has an Italian buffet from 4-9 p.m. Sunday. Cost is $18 plus tax and gratuity.
▪ The final weekend of Magic City Casino’s Ultimate Miami talent competition is this weekend. Ultimate Miami Bartender and Ultimate Miami Dessert Maker competitions are at 7:30 p.m. Friday. Admission is $40 and includes drink and dessert samples. Comedians are at 8 p.m. Saturday. Admission is $40, which includes a set by Carlos Mencia.
▪ Seminole Casino Coconut Creek gives away a BMW Z4 and $15,000 Sunday. Two people will be picked hourly starting at 7 p.m. for the car. Eight others hourly get $250 in free slot play.
▪ The Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino usually has only one promotion a month open to the general public: the Hard Rockin’ Sevens. It’s from noon to 8 p.m. Sunday, and every seven minutes one person wins $777 in free play.
Get daily gambling news at SouthFloridaGambling.com