The Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino is the new host for the annual Jeff Conine Poker Classic, and Monday’s event certainly carries the Hard Rock touches: There’s a pre-tournament party at the casino’s Kuro Japanese Restaurant and prize packages that include cash, guitars signed by notable musicians and entry into upcoming big poker tournaments.
It’s the sixth year for the tournament, which benefits the Conine Clubhouse, where families of children under care at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital can stay for free as long as necessary. Previous events have been held at Calder Casino in Miami Gardens and the Isle Casino and Racing in Pompano Beach.
Entry is $300 for the tournament, which starts with a party at 5 p.m. at Kuro. (If you don’t play poker, you can go to the Kuro party for $100.) The tournament begins at 7 p.m. First prize is $5,000 and a $5,250 seat in the Seminole Hard Rock Poker Open $3 Million Guarantee Championship.
There also will be two $1,000 bonus payouts. The first will go to the chip leader at the time registration closes, while the second will go to the player who has the most re-entries.
Conine holds the distinction of being the only player to appear in the opener of the Marlins’ inaugural season, the 1997 World Series Marlins’ championship team and the 2003 World Series Marlins’ championship team.
Conine played for a total of six teams before signing a one-day contract to retire as a Marlin in 2008. He is now a Marlins TV announcer. In 2000, his son, Tucker, was born three months premature and contracted a virus.
“Cindy and I know firsthand the importance of being close to the hospital,” Conine said. “It provides all the amenities of a three-star hotel but, more importantly, gives families a temporary place to call home when they need it most.”
Go to ConinePokerClassic.org.
The Seminole Hard Rock always includes a charity event as part of its Seminole Hard Rock Poker Open series, which is in its fifth year. The play-for-blood portion begins this weekend, with a $570 buy-in tournament that players can enter this week.
The highlight is the Big 4, four tournaments with final tables run simultaneously on Aug. 15 and taped for Poker Night in America. The four are: a $1,100 (re-entry) with a $500,000 guarantee that starts at 11 a.m. Aug. 9; the $5,250 SHRPO Championship (single re-entry) with a $3 million guarantee that starts at 11 a.m. Aug. 11; a $2,650 (freeze-out) with a $1 million guarantee at 2 p.m. Aug. 13; and a $25,500 High Roller (re-entry) $2 million guarantee at noon Aug. 14.
There also is a $50,000 buy-in $1 million guarantee Super High Roller Aug. 8 and a $10,000 buy-in $500,000 guarantee Aug. 15.
Go to SHRPO.com.
▪ Gulfstream Park gives away up to $250 in free slot play to its most active patrons each Wednesday in August. It’s called “Progressive Power Play” because the prizes increase: You get $10 in free play for earning 30 points, then an additional $15 for 75 points, with prizes at 100 points ($30), 250 points ($70) and 500 points ($125).
▪ Mardi Gras Casino runs “Krewe Kash” from 2-7 p.m. Sundays. One person every 15 minutes wins $250 in free play. The prize rolls over if not claimed.
▪ The 5th Dimension performs at the Casino @ Dania Beach at 8 p.m. Saturday. The group is known for “Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In” and “Up, Up and Away.” Tickets start at $15.
▪ Miccosukee Resort & Casino gives new patrons who sign up for a player’s club card $30 in free slot play in August. Existing cardholders who refer a player receive $10.
▪ The first Friday of the month is ladies’ night at Calder Casino. The Fusion Band performs and drawings run from 6-9 p.m. for Grey Goose gift sets and shopping cards.
▪ Magic City Casino continues to offer three poker tournaments a week. It’s $50 at 2 p.m. Thursday and 4 p.m. Sunday and $80 at 8 p.m. Monday.
▪ Hialeah Park has Hot Seat Mondays in August. One slot player every 15 minutes wins $100 free play from 7-10 p.m.
▪ Casino Miami has a free play blowout this month; from 1-10 p.m. daily, 100 slot players are selected to win $25 in free play.
▪ The Isle Casino in Pompano Beach gives away up to $1,000 in free play every 10 minutes from 5-11 p.m. Fridays in August. At 11 p.m., someone wins $5,000 cash.
▪ The Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino gives away bottle of Johnnie Walker Black to players who earn 10 comp dollars from midnight to 4 p.m. Sunday. Pickup time for the prize is 1-5 p.m.
▪ Seminole Coconut Creek gives away $1,000 in free play to five patrons every 30 minutes from noon to 8 p.m. Monday.