It’s one of Magic City Casino’s more colorful giveaways, and slot players are crowding around the promotions area each weekday afternoon and evening.
As the casino’s Samhara Davila spins the wheel, the patrons exhort:
“Red!” “Blue!” “Green!”
Each eligible casino visitor is holding a ticket with a color. If their color appears on the wheel, Davila spins a second wheel, with the numbers 1 through 12. A suitcase corresponds to each box, and everyone holding the winning color receives the prize — which is often cash or free slot play.
The new color wheel game is open to slot players with the ranks of “Illusionist,” “Wizard” and “Oracle.” (Hey, I’m not the one who came up with such names. It’s kind of a play off Magic City....) To attain the lowest rank — Illusionist — patrons must attain 1,500 player’s club points over a 60-day period. The game is also open to first time sign-ups.
All three tiers of card-holders can play hourly from 1-4 p.m. Mondays and Tuesdays, 1-5 p.m. Thursdays and Fridays and 7-8 p.m. Mondays and 7, 8 and 9 p.m. Tuesdays. Oracles only have their time at 9 p.m. Monday and Wizards and Oracles are hourly from 1-4 p.m. and 7-9 p.m. Wednesday.
While leading the four Miami-Dade racetrack casinos in slot revenue last year, Magic City is the least aggressive with onsite promotions. State statistics show the casino gave away about one-fourth of the free slot play than its competitors did in the fiscal year ending June 30, 2016. The casino instead prefers to award gifts and perks to its regular players. So the color-wheel promotion, which goes to those who are already playing steadily at the casino, fits with that philosophy.
Saturday is Kentucky Derby Day and Gulfstream Park offers a Derby Day buffet, a chance to win betting vouchers, and the second annual Derby Divas & Darlings Hat Contest.
There’s also a contest for the super-degenerates, with a payoff of $100,000. (I’ll get to that at the bottom.)
Fans who purchase a Gulfstream Park program at the south entrance on Derby Day will get an official 143rd Kentucky Derby T-shirt while supplies last from noon to 3 p.m. Ten Palms will offer a Derby buffet for $59. XBRewards@Gulfstream Members may enter to win wagers on Churchill Downs stakes races with the top prize being a $1,500 wager on the Kentucky Derby.
The second annual Derby Divas & Darlings Hat Contest will take place at about 3:15 p.m. in the walking ring with judge Stephanie Bertini of WTVJ-NBC6. (She does traffic and news reporting.) Prizes include a $300 bet on the Derby, an Ultimate Fan Experience and a $200 shopping spree. Registration is from noon to 3 p.m.
Categories are “Derby Chic” (sophistication and cohesive from head to toe) and “Derby Distinctive” (spirited, creative and one-of-a-kind). The Derby Chic winner gets a free night at the AC Hotel Miami Aventura by Marriott, cocktails, tapas and a $300 bet. Second prize is an “ultimate fan experience” for two plus a $150 bet. The Derby Distinctive winner receives a $250 shopping spree plus a $300 bet on the race. Second is the fan experience for two plus a $150 bet.
Then there are the “Divas in Training” — girls 12 and under. The winner gets a $100 Charming Charlie gift card; second is a $50 card.
Now, about that $100K: Tropical Racing, a South Florida based thoroughbred partnership group, has an online contest inviting people to pick not the only the winner of the race, and not only the top three. They want you to select the finishing order of horses. No. 1 through 20. It’s free and requires only a valid email address. Go to TropicalRacing.com.
▪ Hialeah Park’s Champion Simulcast Center and Sport Center will be awarding two $50 betting vouchers as part of its Kentucky Derby simulcast presentation. At 9 p.m. is a tribute to percussionist and vocalist Carlos Oliva outdoors in the Paddock Gardens. Oliva is credited by Time magazine as being “the father of The Miami Sound.” Lucy Grau, Hansel y Raul, Roberto Torres and Willy Chirino will perform. The Cuban Guys Mobile Unit and other food trucks will be on site.
▪ Live jai-alai has returned to The Casino @ Dania Beach. Sessions are at 8 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, with matinees at 3 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Marvin Dixon’s “Fifty Shades of Comedy” is at 8 p.m. Saturday. Tickets start at $15.
▪ The Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino gives away a bottle of Don Julio Blanco tequila to those who earn 10 comp dollars playing slots from midnight to 5 p.m. Sunday.
▪ Seminole Casino Coconut Creek gives away a Neiman Marcus gift card to anyone who earns 13 comp dollars on Wednesday, May 10. The cards are awarded from 5-9 p.m. at The Pavilion.
▪ Mardi Gras Casino specials this month include a $5 “Voulez-Vous.” That’s rum, triple sec, a dash of lime juice, ginger ale and a splash of strawberry mix. The Burger of the Month is a Quesadilla Burger ($10.50), which features Chipotle sauce, bacon, salsa, in a cheddar jack quesadilla. Served with chips and salsa, of course. The Big Easy Poker room has $1 draft beer, $2 well drinks and $3 for two hot dogs to those seated at the tables or the bar
▪ Calder Casino gives away up to $1,000 free play to two patrons every 30 minutes from 6-9 p.m. Saturdays this month. If no one hits the $1,000 on a particular night, the prize rolls over into the next week. Earn entries daily with every 10 points, plus each entry can be multiplied by up to eight times on Thursdays.
▪ The Isle Casino’s big giveaway for the month is a Maserati, at 11 p.m. May 27. The casino draws two finalists every 20 minutes from 4-10 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays throughout the month. The patrons also receive $200 in free play.