1. MARLINS: Remember 10 weeks ago when we all loved Jeter?: Ah, those were the good old days. It was the month before last. Derek Jeter arrived as a knight on a white steed to save the Marlins and be for South Florida all that Jeffrey Loria wasn't. Then he traded Dee Gordon, Giancarlo Stanton and Marcell Ozuna in a dizzying flurry. Loria 2.0.
2. DOLPHINS: Stunner over Patriots rekindles (some) playoff hope: Patriots at Steelers and the return of Aaron Rodgers top the NFL Week 15 marquee, but Dolphins at Bills Sunday looms big in that the winner will see playoff hope buoyed. But these are the inconsistent, let-you-down Fins, so ... do you trust they’ll replicate that Monday magic in Buffalo?
3. COLLEGE BASKETBALL: Canes, OB Classic spotlight strength in state: Unbeaten, No. 6-ranked Miami men returned to action Saturday vs. George Washington in first of four straight on road, while in Sunrise the ranked Florida Gators and FSU Seminoles led four-team Orange Bowl Classic. Canes hoops has only been ranked higher once, in 2012-13.
4. COLLEGE FOOTBALL: FAU, FIU prepare for rare bowl games: Hurricanes in the Orange is two weeks off, but the appetizers are on the way. Lane Kiffin's FAU Owls (Tuesday vs. Akron in Boca Raton) and Butch Davis' FIU Panthers (Thursday vs. Temple in St. Pete) prepare for only the third bowls in each school's 14-year history as FBS-level teams.
5. SOCCER: Beckham enlists help in Miami MLS bid: Sorry, Heat and Panthers. Win more and maybe get some Hot Button love again. For now, 5-spot to David Beckham for fortifying his Major League Soccer bid with local titans Jorge and Jose Mas and a Japanese billionaire. Yes, a Miami team that doesn't exist yet now has better owners than the Marlins.