1. He’s now the youngest coach in the NFL at age 37, and three years younger than Don Shula was when the legendary coach was hired by the team in 1970.
2. He’s a Michigan State guy, and learned under than-coach Nick Saban as a graduate assistant at LSU. The Dolphins’ owner, Stephen Ross, went to arch-rival Michigan.
3. He’s a quarterback guru, working with and getting the best from Payton Manning and Tim Tebow in Denver and Jay Cutler in Chicago. Now his mission will be to get more from Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill.
4. He’s a family man despite his nonstop work ethic. He and wife, Jennifer (who comes from a football coaching family), have a daughter and two sons.
Never miss a local story.
5. He’s never been a head coach at any level, but he’s been around football teams since he was 18. And he briefly flirted with a career in insurance before a friend pointed him back at coaching.
6. He has coached in the NFL with the Denver Broncos and Chicago Bears and was on the scouting staff with the Detroit Lions.
7. He was born in Ypsilanti, Michigan, on March 29, 1978.
8. He’s worked under NFL coaches John Fox and Josh McDaniels.
9. He played wide receiver in high school.
10. He was called the “smartest guy I know” by Broncos QB Peyton Manning.