▪ Impact player: Minnesota running back Matt Asiata ran the ball on five of the last six plays of the drive to his touchdown and caught a check-down pass for 6 yards on the other play.
▪ Highlights: Lamar Miller broke off a 12-yard carry on the second drive and had an 18-yard catch on the first drive, the major chunks of 49 all-purpose yards in the quarter.
▪ Lowlights: Instead of making a rookie quarterback playing in his hometown drive the length of the field, the Dolphins tried a 56-yard field goal. After Caleb Sturgis missed, the Vikings drove 54 yards to Asiata’s 1-yard touchdown plunge. The Dolphins first drive stalled on a play where only Ryan Tannehill and center Mike Pouncey seemed to know the snap count, resulting in Tannehill being sacked.
▪ Impact player: Minnesota quarterback Teddy Bridgewater went 4 of 8 for 85 yards and one touchdown as the Vikings expanded their lead to 17-7.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Highlights: Needing to conjure points down 14-0, the Dolphins drove 92 yards in 12 plays to a 14-yard Tannehill-to-Dion Sims touchdown pass.
▪ Lowlights: Another Tannehill blocked pass, this time by safety Harrison Smith, turned into an interception by Smith that set up a 21-yard touchdown pass from Bridgewater to Greg Jennings. With the Vikings willing to just run out the clock, the Dolphins used their timeouts, then gave up Joe Banyard’s 16-yard, third-down run. Now with time, the Vikings drove to a field goal to end the half.
▪ Impact player: Tannehill completed 7 of 8 passes for 96 yards and a touchdown.
▪ Highlights: Getting a defensive three-and-out set the tone for the Dolphins. The offense then rolled 80 yards in six plays, 41 yards on a Tannehill-to-Charles Clay bomb up the right sideline. Mike Wallace made a nice double-clutch catch of a throw tipped by Minnesota safety Xavier Rhodes, then spun into the end zone. Defensive end Derrick Shelby intercepted a tipped pass, and the Dolphins moved smartly up the field to the Vikings’ 1-yard line.
▪ Lowlights: Minnesota converted a third-and-13 from its own 17 when Bridgewater hit Jennings for 24 yards.
▪ Impact player: Third-string defensive lineman Terrence Fede, off a scheme designed to set up a big punt return, blocked a punt for a safety and the game-winning points with 41 seconds left.
▪ Highlights: Miller’s touchdown on the first play of the quarter gave the Dolphins their first lead 21-17. Tannehill found Wallace for a 7-yard touchdown. After the Vikings took a 35-28 lead, Tannehill moved the Dolphins 80 yards in 11 plays to a 3-yard Damien Williams’ touchdown catch. A sack by Cameron Wake had the Vikings punting from their own 11. Then, Fede’s block.
▪ Lowlights:Up 28-20, a squib kick gave the Vikings the ball at their 40, and they went 60 yards in five plays for a touchdown. Asiata got the two-point conversion after two Dolphins offside penalties. He also got the touchdown after Jarvis Landry fumbled the kickoff back to the Vikings.