Mike Wallace remains in the dark about whether the Miami Dolphins plan to keep him, but the team’s highest-paid player (for now) has reason to believe that he will be back in Miami in 2015.
That’s according to his father, Burnell, who told the Miami Herald that the uncertainty has been “tough” for his son.
“Right now, he’s been talking to them,” Burnell Wallace said late Wednesday morning. “He thinks he’s going to stay there. He doesn’t have a problem staying. [But] they really don’t know. I really can’t give you a definitive answer.”
Wallace said his expects his son to know one way or the other next week — which makes sense.
Never miss a local story.
The Dolphins must pay Wallace a $3 million bonus if he is on the roster on March 14.
The holdup could be twofold:
No. 1: There might still be a difference of opinion within the organization about whether the Dolphins should keep Wallace, who is set to earn $9.9 million this season.
And No. 2: Wallace might become a cap casualty if the team needs space to land star defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh.
The word in league circles last week was that general manager Dennis Hickey was sympathetic to keeping Wallace, but Joe Philbin was leaning toward wanting him gone.
Plus, the Dolphins still need to clear serious cap space if they have any hope of landing Suh, whom Hickey’s former boss Mark Dominik called “one of the most significant free agents ever to hit the market” on ESPN.
Suh is believed to want a multi-year contract in excess of $100 million, with more than $50 million guaranteed.
The Dolphins have real interest in landing him.
As for Wallace, he does have several well-placed allies within the organization. Team leaders Mike Pouncey and Branden Albert have both been on record saying that they want Wallace to remain with the Dolphins.
And this week, Ryan Tannehill said the same.
Tannehill and Wallace have “cleared the air” since the receiver’s late-season blowup and that “there’s no problem there,” the Dolphins quarterback said Tuesday.