Miami High advanced to the semifinals of the inaugural GMAC flag football tournament Monday with a 25-12 victory over Norland.
Jeri Richard threw for 145 passing yards and a touchdown, and ran 165 yards for two touchdowns for the undefeated Stingarees (8-0).
Andrisia Sweeting also scored a touchdown and had 75 receiving yards.
The GMAC semifinals will take place at Traz Powell at 3 p.m. and 4 p.m., and the final will start at 5:30 p.m.
Never miss a local story.
▪ GMAC Quarterfinal — Miami High 25, Norland 12: Jeri Richard 145 passing yds - TD, 165 rushing yds - 2 TD. Andrisia Sweeting 75 receiving yds, TD, 40 rushing yds. Michaella Philippe 60 receiving yds. Shekinah Rachel 10 receiving yds, TD. Destiny Weldon INT. MIA 8-0.
▪ Mater Academy 13, Coral Reef 0: Emily Acosta 123 rushing yds, TD, EP, 5 FP, 3 INT. Cindy Aragon TD. Danielle Edinger TD. Karla Vargas 5 FP, 2 sacks. MA 8-3.
▪ District 16-9A semifinal — South Dade 3, Southridge 0: Chris Gomez (6-1), CG, SHO, 7 IP, 6 H, 4 K’s. Alek Manoah 2-3, 2B. Joel Rivero 2-3, 2B, 2 RBI. SD 21-3. SR 12-11
▪ District 16-7A semifinal — Belen 5, Sunset 0: Pablo Arevalo CG, 7 K’s. Erick Wilson 3-4. Andrew Hernandez 2-3, 2B, RBI, R. Christian DelCastillo 2-2, R. Jon Barditch 1-3, 2B, 2 RBI. Carlos Lara 1-2, RBI. BEL 15-11.
▪ District 14-9A semifinal — Miami High 6, Coral Gables 5: Christian Torres CG, ER, 1-3, RBI. Yiovanni Matias 2-3, R, RBI. Javier Alvarez 1-3, R, RBI. MIA 12-11.
▪ District 13-9A semifinal — Hialeah 2, American 1: Erislandy Rives CG, 6 K’s. Jorge Bellido de Luna 1-1, 2BB, GW RBI. Jonathan Sanchez 1-2, BB, RBI. HIA 11-11.
▪ District 16-6A semifinal — Goleman 5, Jackson 4: Mario Lopez 2IP, K. SV: Jeremie Garcia 1-3, 3 RBI. German Villar 1-3, RBI. GOL 24-2.
▪ District 15-7A semifinal — South Broward 14, Northeast 4: WP: Chris Opitz. Bryan Luzon 2-4, 2R, RBI. Manny Lebon 2-4, 3R, 2RBI. David BRown 2-3, 2RBI. SB 13-12.
▪ District 8-4A quarterfinal — Ransom Everglades 12, Palmer Trinity 6: Steve Vinson (7-3), CG, 8 K's. Rick Suarez 3-3, 2 R, 2 RBI. Matthew Jackson 1-2, R, 3 RBI. Ryan Moralejo 2-3, R, 2 RBI. RE 14-6.
▪ District 8-4A quarterfinal — Westminster Christian 11, Everglades Prep 1: WP: Jason Garcia. WC 20-6-1.
▪ District 11-9A quarterfinal — Monarch 3, Deerfield Beach 0: Matt Rumpf CG, 9K, 2H, BB. Jack Alten 2-3, RBI, R. MON 10-13.
▪ District 11-9A quarterfinal — Coral Springs 3, Taravella 1: Max Lazar CG, ER, 6K. Nick Volpe 1-3, RBI. CS 18-5.
▪ District 14-5A quarterfinal — Pine Crest 11, Coral Springs Charter 1: WP: Garret Rukes. PC 13-9. CSC 11-10.
▪ District 7-2A quarterfinal — Lake Worth Christian 14, Zion Lutheran 4: LWC 10-9. ZL 2-6.
▪ District 7-2A quarterfinal — Trinity Christian 15, Sheridan Hills 0: TC 16-6. SH 2-6.
▪ District 15-9A opening round — Varela 6, Ferguson 0: Franco Velasquez CG, 1-H, 6K. Jaymark Garcia 2-4, 2B, 3RBI. Tony Mejias-Rivera 3-3, 2B, RBI.
▪ District 7-4A opening round — Hialeah Educational Academy 6, Miami Country Day 4: WP: Alejandro Castro. LP: Jorden Gross. SV: Raymond Perez. HEA 13-13. MCD 9-16.
▪ District 7-3A opening round — Coral Springs Christian 4, Berean Christian 3: WP: Austin Marks. CSC 10-16. BC 12-10.
▪ Late Friday — Belen 10, Cypress Bay 2: Daniel Dager 3 goals, assist. Johnny Powell 2 goals, 2 assists. Gabriel Garcia 2 goals. Deiter Prussing goal. Brian Pascual goal. Oscar Ortega goal. Robert Fernandez 4 assists. Mat Salas 14 saves. Ricky Mayo 9-12 FO. BEL 19-2.
▪ Hebrew Academy d. Greater Miami Academy (25-22, 25-19, 25-18): Michael Fedida 21 kills, 6 aces. Max Del-Giglio 31 assists, 7 digs. Ariel Dressler 8 kills, 6 aces.
▪ Cardinal Gibbons d. Suncoast (25-19, 25-20, 18-25, 26-28, 15-17): JT Martin 24 kills, 4 blocks, 3 digs, 2 assist. Matt Rodriguez 19 service points, 14 digs, 2 kills, 4 assists.
▪ Braddock d. Florida Christian (25-19, 25-8, 25-18).
▪ Late Saturday, Florida Christian Tournament — Coral Reef d. Varela (25-13.25-14), Miami High (25-11, 25-17), SLAM (22-25,25-13,15-12), Trinity Christian (25-16, 25-16): Horacio Ruiz-Lugo 27 kills, 7 aces, 25 digs, 39 serve receives. CR 15-7.
District 11-9A semifinal: Monarch at Douglas, 4
District 12-9A semifinals at Flanagan: Cypress Bay vs. West Broward, 4; Flanagan vs. Western, 7
District 15-9A semifinals at Columbus: Braddock vs. Columbus, 3:30; Varela vs. Southwest, 6:30
District 16-9A semifinal at Coral Reef Park: Killian vs. Palmetto, 3:30
District 13-8A semifinal: Coral Glades at Boca Raton Spanish River, 7
District 14-8A semifinals at St. Thomas Aquinas: Piper vs. Fort Lauderdale, 4; St. Thomas Aquinas vs. Plantation-South Plantation winner, 7
District 16-8A semifinals at Reagan: Mater Academy vs. Reagan, 2; Central vs. Westland Hialeah, 4
District 16-7A semifinal at Sunset: Terra vs. Doral, 3:30
District 15-6A semifinals at American Heritage: Hallandale vs. American Heritage, 4; Stranahan-Coconut Creek winner vs. Archbishop McCarthy, 7
District 16-6A semifinal: Mourning at Miami Springs, 3:30
District 16-5A semifinal: Key West at Keys Gate, 3
District 7-4A quarterfinals at Westminster Academy: Chaminade-Madonna vs. Westminster Academy, 4; University School vs. Hialeah Educational, 7
District 8-4A semifinal: Somerset-Coral Shores winner at Florida Christian, 4; at Westminster Christian: Ransom Everglades vs. Westminster Christian, 4
District 7-3A semifinals at Highlands Christian: Coral Springs Christian vs. Fort Pierce John Carroll, 4; Jupiter Christian vs. Highlands Christian, 7
District 8-3A semifinals at Marathon: Somerset Central Miramar-Marathon winner vs. Archbishop Carroll, 4; Archbishop Curley-Dade Christian winner vs. Sagemont, 7.
District 7-2A semifinals at Santaluces Sports Complex: 6:30
District 8-2A semifinals at Miami Christian: Brito vs. Miami Christian, 1; Champagnat Catholic vs. Westwood Christian, 4
TRACK AND FIELD
District 13-4A at South Plantation
District 14-4A at Everglades: 9 a.m.
District 16-4A at Southridge: 9 a.m.
GMAC championship at Mourning – Quarterfinals: Hialeah Gardens vs. Killian, 2; Miami High vs. Mourning, 2; Sunset vs. Palmetto, 3:15; Columbus vs. Hialeah-Miami Lakes, 3:15; Semifinals: 4:45; Final: 6:30
Second round state play-in at Belen: Gulliver vs. Belen, 4:30
Second round state play-in: Pine Crest-Douglas winner at Delray American Heritage, 7
La Salle at Riviera Prep, 5
SLAM Charter High at Saint Brendan, 5
Hialeah Gardens at Miami Coral Park, 5
Florida Christian at Westminister Christian, 6
Hialeah Educational Academy at Archimedean Academy, 6
District 13-9A final at Alex Fernandez Field: 7
District 14-9A final at Flamingo Park: Miami High vs. Miami Beach-Coral Park winner, 7
District 13-8A final at Boca Raton Spanish River: Delray Atlantic vs. Coral Glades-Spanish River winner, 7
District 15-8A final at Nova: 7:30
District 15-7A final at Pines Flamingo Park: South Broward vs. Pines Charter-Boyd Anderson winner, 6:30
District 14-5A semifinals at Broward College: Pompano Beach-Gibbons winner vs. North Broward Prep, 4; Pine Crest vs. Somerset Academy, 7
District 15-5A semifinals at Monsignor Pace: La Salle vs. Mater Lakes, 4; Monsignor Pace vs. St. Brendan, 7
TRACK AND FIELD
District 15-4A at Hialeah Gardens at Tropical Park: 10 a.m.
GMAC tournament at Traz Powell – Semifinals: 3 and 4; Final: 5:30.
Second round state play-in: Oxbridge Academy at St. Thomas Aquinas, 7
Second round state play-in: Ransom Everglades at St. Thomas Aquinas, 5
The Miami Herald’s South Florida Rankings
1. Arch. McCarthy (23-1)
2. Douglas (20-2)
3. Somerset (22-3)
4. Flanagan (17-4-1)
5. South Dade (20-3)
6. Monsignor Pace (21-4)
7. Gulliver (18-5)
8. Am. Heritage (16-4)
9. Goleman (23-2)
10. St. Thomas (17-4)
Under consideration: Florida Christian (18-7), Westminster Christian (19-6-1), Killian (16-7-1), Columbus (16-8), Westland Hialeah (16-9), Nova (16-6).
1. Am. Heritage (21-2)
2. C.S. Charter (21-3)
3. Pines Charter (20-4)
4. St. Thomas (19-4)
5. Gulliver (16-8)
6. West. Christian (19-5)
7. Palmetto (23-4)
8. Cooper City (16-9)
9. Doral (17-5)
10. Western (19-6)
Under consideration: Monarch (21-2), Monsignor Pace (18-7), Westminster Academy (14-7), Calvary Christian (16-9).
Last week’s best Miami-Dade performances
TEAMS OF THE WEEK
The Gulliver boys’ and girls’ tennis teams each won Class 2A state championships. The boys won their fourth state title in the past five seasons led by Nicolas Ramirez (No. 2), Christian Otero (No. 3), Maxim Krapivin (No. 4) and Ryan Hellinger (No. 5), who won their singles matches to rally the Raiders in the final against Montverde Academy. The girls won their seventh state title and third in four seasons as Julieta Dalmau and Estefania Navarro each won their singles and doubles match.
The Belen Jesuit boys’ water polo team won its second consecutive state championship. Federico Tamborrel and Adrian Hernandez scored four goals each to lead the Wolverines over St. Thomas Aquinas, 10-7 in the final.
Ransom’s girls’ water polo team won its third consecutive state title and seventh in the past eight seasons. Elle Futernick led the Raiders in the 9-6 championship win over Orlando Olympia with three goals.
ATHLETES OF THE WEEK
Kevin Perez, Goleman, baseball: Perez threw five shutout innings against Coral Park in the quarterfinals and later hit the go-ahead two-run double in the final against Westland Hialeah to help the Gators win their first GMAC championship since 2003.
Unisis Suarez, Southwest, softball: Suarez struck out nine to lead the Eagles to a 7-3 win over Lourdes and the District 15-8A championship.
Tyquan Thornton, Booker T. Washington, boys’ track and field: Thornton won the 100, 200 and 400 meter races at the District 16-2A championships.
Tiara McMinn, Jackson, girls’ track and field: McMinn won both hurdles events and the high jump at the District 16-2A championships.
Richie Torres, MAST, boys’ tennis: Torres won the Class 2A individual singles title, which was the first in his school’s history.
Tom Jaworski, Mourning, boys’ tennis: Jaworski became the first individual state champion in his school’s history, winning the Class 3A singles division.
Sara Culbertson, Riviera Prep, girls’ tennis: Culbertson won the Class 1A individual singles championship — a first for her school.
Dominic Benitez, Gulliver, boys’ lacrosse: Benitez had nine ground balls to lead the Raiders to a 18-2 win over Key West in a first round state play-in game.
Gabe Campo, Columbus, boys’ volleyball: Campo finished with 49 assists to lead the Explorers to wins over SLAM, Coral Reef and Varela and the Florida Christian tournament championship.
Laura Morales, Claudia Morales, Christian Gonzalez, Madison Chamizo, Southwest, badminton: The two doubles teams won their divisions and led the Eagles to their second consecutive GMAC championship.
Cindy Aragon, Mater Academy: Aragon scored the winning touchdown in a 7-6 triple-overtime win over iMater.
Andre C. Fernandez
Last week’s best Broward performances
TEAM OF THE WEEK
Ignacio Martinez won at No. 1 singles and Luis Marcano won at No. 2 singles to lead the Sagemont boys’ tennis team past Pensacola Catholic 5-0 for its second consecutive Class 1A state title.
ATHLETES OF THE WEEK
Cristine Alayon, Pines Charter, flag football: Alayon found Ashlyon Correa for the tying score in the fourth quarter as the Jaguars rallied for a 7-6 victory over Piper.
Emily Estroff, Monarch, softball: The sophomore ace (22-1) threw a three-hitter and struck out nine to help the Knights blank Taravella 5-0 for the District 11-9A title.
Zach Delello, Coral Springs, boys’ volleyball: Delello had 25 points, 14 kills and 10 digs to lead the Colts over Taravella in five sets.
Katrevia Lave, Plantation, flag football: Lave had a rushing touchdown and an interception to lead the Colonels over South Plantation 25-7.
James Spatafora, Nova, baseball: Spatafora went 3 for 4 with four RBI to lead the Titans over Everglades 7-0.
Julia Montgomery, Pine Crest, girls’ track: Montgomery won the 1,600 meters, the 3,200 meters and ran on the winning 3,200 relay team to help the Panthers upset reigning Class 2A state champion Hallandale 148-147 for the District 15-2A title.
Damian Serralta, American Heritage, baseball: Serralta went 1 for 3 with a RBI to lead the Patriots over American Heritage-Delray 2-0.
Sydney Bates, Western, softball: Bates threw a no-hitter as the Wildcats beat Miramar 2-0 for the District 12-9A title.
Danny Ferro, Calvary Christian, boys’ track: Ferro won the 1,600 meters and ran on the winning 3,200 relay team to help the Eagles win the District 15-2A title.