As Carnival’s Fathom Adonia cruised to its home port in Miami on Saturday afternoon after making the first cruise from the United States directly to Cuba in more than half a century, an outbreak of suspected Norovirus was reported.
On Friday, after seven passengers reported gastro-intestinal upsets, the ship’s crew put heightened hygiene procedures into effect such as spritzing guests’ hands with sanitizer when they entered and left dining rooms and immediately wiping down tables.
Guests were advised to thoroughly wash their hands often and avoid shaking hands.
David Box, the ship’s captain, announced to passengers Saturday morning that there had been an increase in gastro-intestinal illnesses, “possibly suggestive of Norovirus.”
Roger Frizzell, a Carnival spokesman, said there were seven more cases reported Saturday.
He said Norovirus, which causes vomiting, stomach cramps and diarrhea, hadn’t been confirmed.
“Of the 14, all have recovered, according to the doctor on the ship. No new cases have been reported in the last several hours,” Frizzell said on Saturday night.
The ship will get a thorough scrubbing when it reaches Miami early Sunday, but Frizzell said the outbreak is not expected to delay the Adonia’s trip to the Dominican Republic, which is scheduled to depart late Sunday afternoon.
Although they were aware of the outbreak, most guests seemed to be enjoying their last day at sea, sunning themselves and splashing in the ship’s pool Saturday afternoon.