Parole board clears another Yemeni ‘forever prisoner’ to leave Guantánamo
04/25/2014 11:58 AM
08/08/2014 12:59 PM
An Obama administration parole board has approved for release another Guantánamo “forever prisoner” — a man once profiled by U.S. military intelligence as an Osama bin Laden bodyguard — and recommended he be reunited with family in Yemen rather than resettled elsewhere
Ali Ahmad al Razihi, 34, a bachelor, went before a parole board without an attorney on March 20. Razihi has modest plans for a food service business modeled after Guantánamo’s mess hall-to-cellblock catering system, according to a statement prepared by a U.S. military officer assigned to help Razihi in the parole board proceedings. He did not elaborate
Also, according to the officer, “luckily enough,” the captive’s father already has already lined up a bride for him on return to Yemen.
Razihi’s new designation as eligible for release means that of Guantánamo prison’s 154 captives, 44 are now considered indefinite detainees and 77 could leave once the State Department negotiates transfer deals. The rest include three convicted war criminals and other captives either awaiting trial or considered possible tribunal candidates.
The brief order, removing the Yemeni’s designation as an indefinite detainee, credited Razihi’s “largely peaceful, nonviolent approach to detention,” and willingness to take part in a rehabilitation program once “the security situation improves” in Yemen, home to one of al-Qaida’s most virulent franchises.
The board also specifically urged return to Yemen, given Razihi’s desire to be reunited with the family he left more than a decade ago for Afghanistan.
Razihi was at one point suspected of being a part of Osama bin Laden’s security detail, according to his leaked 2008 prisoner profile. He was brought to the crude prison camp of chain-link-fence cages called Camp X-Ray the day it opened, Jan. 11, 2002.
A recent risk assessment never resolved the bodyguard issue. It said Razihi “possibly served as a bodyguard” but in U.S. custody had consistently “expressed nonextremist aspiration for his life after transfer. We lack sufficient information to assess whether his stated intentions are genuine.”
Delegates from six federal agencies weighed in on the decision, the board’s third so far after hearing five case. They represented the Director of National Intelligence, departments of Justice, Homeland Security and State as well as the Pentagon and, separately, the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
The Pentagon gave Razihi a veto of public disclosure of what he told the board, according to a parole board website posting, and the Yemeni captive exercised it.
Oops, you haven't selected any newsletters. Please check the box next to one or more of our email newsletters and submit again.
Oops, you didn't provide a valid email address. Please double-check the email field and submit again.
Join the Discussion
Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.