The Miami Beach City Commission will look quite different at the end of this year after three commissioners conclude their second and final terms.
So far, eight hopefuls have filed to run for those seats, which voters will fill during an election and run-off in November. Election season is just getting started, though, as qualifying ends on Sept. 11.
Current commissioners Deede Weithorn, Ed Tobin and Jonah Wolfson are term-limited out after they complete their second terms in the fall.
Running for Weithorn’s seat (Group VI)
Never miss a local story.
▪ John Elizabeth Aleman, information technology consultant, executive board member of the North Beach Elementary PTA and chair of the city’s quality education committee.
▪ Jeff Cynamon, attorney specializing in eminent domain and private property rights law
▪ Scott Diffenderfer, realtor and president of the Belle Isle Residents Association
▪ Mark Samuelian, management consultant, real estate investor and community affairs leader for the Alton Road Business Association
Running for Tobin’s seat (Group V)
▪ Mark Weithorn, husband of current commissioner Deede Weithorn and Realtor who currently does web development for Realtors
▪ Ricky Arriola, chief executive officer of Inktel Holdings, a global outsourcer of business and direct marketing services and immediate past chair of the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts Trust Board.
Running for Wolfson’s seat (Group IV)
▪ Isaiah Mosley, environmental scientist
▪ Elizabeth “Betsy” Pérez, a music business professional who works with her husband, songwriter and record producer Rudy Pérez.