David Beckham enjoys broad support from Miami-Dade voters for his plan to use private money to build a soccer stadium on land that his partners want to buy from the county, according to a new poll.
Almost 60 percent of Miami-Dade voters surveyed in the Miami Herald poll said they support the plan currently bogged down in talks between Beckham negotiators and county administrators. Beckham has offered to pay market rate for the three-acre truck depot used by the county’s Water and Sewer Department, and Miami-Dade would waive competitive bidding for the land in exchange for a package of hiring pledges and community benefits.
In the Bendixen & Amandi International poll of 600 registered Miami-Dade voters, 57 percent of respondents supported the soccer plan. Thirty-five percent opposed, and eight percent said they had no opinion. Bendixen conducted the survey May 1-4 in Spanish and English for the Miami Herald, el Nuevo Herald, WLRN and Univision 23.
Beckham has already secured about six acres of privately owned land for the site, but the three-acre county parcel remains a challenge. Last week, the Herald reported a snag in the talks over the benefits package, with Beckham negotiators unwilling to agree to what county officials proposed.
On Tuesday, Michael Hernández, a spokesman for Mayor Carlos Gimenez, said he knew of no progress between the two sides.
“I’m unaware of any communications between representatives of Miami Beckham United and members of Mayor Gimenez’s administration” since the May 6 publication of the Herald story, which reported on an apparent impasse in the talks.
The Beckham organization released a statement that read: “This polling is consistent with the fact that Miami is home to some of the most passionate fans in soccer, and that the community’s support for an MLS team runs deep. Our Miami Beckham United partners are working hard to give the people of Miami what they want: a world-class, privately-financed stadium in Overtown and a soccer club that makes Miami proud.”