A 2-year-old girl died Wednesday after detectives say she became entangled in the cord of a window blind at a home in Oakland Park, according to the Broward Sheriff’s Office.
“Right now detectives do not see anything suspicious,” said Gina Carter, a BSO spokeswoman.
Around 12:30 p.m., deputies responded to a report of a “medical injury” at 4501 NE 15th Way in Oakland Park.
Deputies found the unconscious child and “attempted to render aid,” BSO said.
Never miss a local story.
The toddler was taken to Holy Cross Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
BSO’s Homicide Unit is now investigating. The department did not release the name of the child.
A neighbor told Miami Herald news partner CBS4 that the family had lived in the home for about six months. He said he saw the tragedy unfold.
“I saw six deputies pull up in the driveway and rush into the home,” he told the station.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, an average of one child a month dies of strangulation from a window covering.
The Window Covering Safety Council, founded in 1994 to educate consumers about window cord safety, stresses the importance of checking all window coverings and offers free retrofit kits to parents who can’t afford new ones.
“Children and window cords don’t mix,” the website reads.
Kids and windows
The Consumer Product Safety Commission offers this advice to prevent strangulation from window coverings:
▪ Examine all shades and blinds for exposed cords on the front, side and back of the product.
▪ Use cordless window coverings in homes with young children.
▪ If you can’t afford new, cordless window coverings contact the Window Covering Safety Council at 800-506-4636 or www.windowcoverings.org for a free repair kit.