Maybe you’ve got your Samsung Note 7 all set up. You’re at smartphone peace. So, when you hear Samsung’s recalling the Note 7 over battery issues, you think, what can a faulty Samsung Note 7 battery fry (besides my phone)?
Judging from reports: A hotel carpet. A Jeep. A house.
The recall that reportedly will cost Samsung billions.
Australian business analyst Tham Hua told The Sun out of the United Kingdom that he went to sleep with his phone on a nightstand and plugged in to charge. He awoke to a mini-fireworks show.
Never miss a local story.
“It started with a fizzy noise and then a pop, and then flames and smoke came out,” Hua said to The Sun. “I woke up when it popped and, when I looked, fire and smoke were pouring out from it. I had to throw it down to the floor and disconnect the cable, and hit it with the pillow to stop the fire.”
Hua said Samsung offered to pay the $1,800 in damage for which the hotel billed him. That’s cheap compared to a Jeep.
A Fox 13 report from St. Petersburg says Nathan Dornacher left his Note 7 charging in the center console of his Jeep while in his house. He looked out the window to find his beloved Jeep and the upgrades he’d had installed on it blanketed in flames. Firefighters put out the fire, but not before the fire totaled the Jeep.
The Dornacher family lost a vehicle. They still had their house. The Hartzog family in Horry County, South Carolina would, take that deal.
Horry County Fire Investigators told WMBF the Hartzog house fire started near a garage wall outlet where Wesley Hartzog’s phone was charging. Hartzog told the television station his house is now condemned. The family is living in hotels while the process from investigation to reimbursement continues.