Sean Brasel, executive chef-partner of Meat Market.
Why he’s Food 50: For maintaining excellence at Lincoln Road’s best locally owned restaurant while expanding to new locations.
When chef Sean Brasel and business partner David Tornek opened Meat Market in 2008 in South Beach, the modern-steakhouse trend was just beginning to take hold. Today, you can’t throw a rib-eye in Miami without hitting a house of kale Caesar and lobster mac ’n’ cheese.
Brasel has managed to stay relevant among the expanding field of steakhouse competitors by cooking food with integrity, using local ingredients and prime purveyors to put something special on his guests’ plates. Even more impressive has been Meat Market’s record of consistent quality at all three of its locations, including recent additions in Palm Beach and Puerto Rico.
Never miss a local story.
Where to find him: Meat Market: 915 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach, 305-532-0088; 191 Bradley Pl., Palm Beach, 561-354-9800; and 6063 Ave Isla Verde, Carolina, Puerto Rico, 787-253-2007
Brasel’s Best Bites
Meat Market chef-partner Sean Brasel’s top nine plates in town:
1. Branzino at Lure Fishbar, 1601 Collins Ave., Miami Beach; 305-695-4550.
2. Garganelli with Sausage at MC Kitchen, 4141 NE Second Ave., Miami; 305-456-9948.
3. Beef Tataki at Sugarcane, 3252 NE First Ave., Miami; 786-369-0353.
4. Lasagna at Basil Park, 17608 Collins Ave., Sunny Isles Beach; 305-705-0004.
5. Octopus at Estiatorio Milos, 730 First St., Miami Beach; 305-604-6800.
6. Oyster with Uni at Oishi Thai, 14841 Biscayne Blvd., North Miami; 305-947-4338.
7. Everything at Michael’s Genuine Food & Drink, 130 NE 40th St., Miami; 305-573-5550.
8. Everything at Nobu, 4525 Collins Ave., Miami Beach; 305-695-3232.
9. Mushroom Quesadilla at Cantina la Veinte, 495 Brickell Ave., Miami; 786-623-6135.