Dolphins Coach Adam Gase told Jarvis Landry unequivocally on Monday that he will not be traded, in the wake of a report suggesting he might be.
Meanwhile, Dolphins management assured Landry’s representative on Sunday that the team is not considering offers for the veteran wide receiver and has no plans to trade him.
“I told him there is no chance he’s being traded,” Gase said after Monday’s practice. “And if something that’s not true comes out like that, then I’m going to deal with it. I’m going to approach the player. … I just let him know that there’s no chance I’m going to trade you.”
Nevertheless, the Dolphins have not made a single longterm contract offer to Landry, whose contract expires after the season. And they have given no indication that they plan to do so before Landry’s self-imposed Sept. 10 deadline.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald
The Landry saga began on Sunday when former NFL executive Michael Lombardi said on Twitter “that Miami will listen to offers on Jarvis Landry and seriously listen.”
Lombardi went to on to tweet that there are two “factors on Miami wanting to listen--1-not going to resign him and 2- [DeVante] Parker is going to get more involved.”
Lombardi also tweeted: “When I say "listen", the Dolphins have made it be known they will move him for the right price--they are as active as other teams talking.”
Dolphins president/football operations Mike Tannenbaum insisted to the Landry camp that the report is 100 percent untrue, according to a team source.
Lombardi, now working for The Ringer, insisted that his information comes from “a great source.”
And Lombardi has credibility; he has worked as an executive for the Raiders, Browns, Eagles and Patriots and has many friends who still work in the league.
Landry is in the final year of a contract that will pay him $893,850 this season - less than 100-plus other receivers.
Landry’s agent, Damarius Bilbo, declined to comment.
Landry caught 94 passes for 1136 yards and four touchdowns this season and Gase on Monday explained his value this way:
“He’s one of the guys that brings fire to the offense. All it takes is one play from him to ignite a lot of guy. When he gets in that rhythm where he’s getting targeted and is making plays that are really three and four yards gain for people he turns them into 15 to 20 yard gains. The way he does it is so physical. It’s real football plays, not wide receiver plays.”
Dolphins owner Stephen Ross, asked about Landry last month, said the Dolphins will consider waiting until next spring and placing the franchise tag on him, which would pay him in the range of $15 million in 2018.
“I think he’s a great player–there’s no question about it,” Ross said on the first day of training camp. “I think he’s handled himself well. He didn’t hold out. It’s not a question of if we don’t sign him now, we lose him. We can franchise him and go from there. There’s a lot of opportunity for him to stay here. I hope he stays here, because he’s a great player.”
When asked if a deal would be struck before the season, Ross said, “I don’t know if it’s before the season, but like I said, it’s not really mandatory that we do it before the season.”
Landry and Giants receiver Odell Beckham Jr., Landry’s friend and former LSU teammate, jointly own the NFL record for most catches over the first three seasons of a career (288).
Jay Cutler’s $10 million contract, combined with looming charges for filling out a practice squad, will leave the Dolphins with just $4.5 million in cap space entering the season barring further moves, said Jason Fitzgerald, founder of outsidethecap.com.
But the Dolphins showed no interest in making Landry a multiyear offer even before Ryan Tannehill’s injury necessitated the allocation of considerable cap space to Cutler.
The Dolphins have less than $3 million in projected cap space in 2018, not counting any space that they carry over.
If the Dolphins retain Landry long-term, they will be investing an enormous amount of money at receiver, keeping in mind that they likely will need to give a large contract to DeVante Parker to retain him when he’s eligible for free agency after 2018. And Kenny Stills is entering the first season of a four-year, $32 million contract.
Here’s my piece today on Charles Harris, who has only one solo tackle in three preseason games and had a lot to say today, including a change he must make.