The Dolphins issued a statement Thursday backing up what the University of Miami told The Herald Wednesday: the report by CBSSports.com that New Miami Stadium wouldn’t be ready for the Hurricanes’ home opener Sept. 3 isn’t accurate.
Actually, CBSSports.com’s Hank Goldberg went so far as to say he’s hearing the stadium might not be ready until November.
Dolphins Senior Vice President for Stadium Renovation Bill Senn’s statement read: “The reports that the stadium won’t be ready for football until November are incorrect. Getting a project of this scale done in this timeframe is unprecedented and the contractor is working diligently on a 24/7 basis to complete the canopy structure. While we will still be doing some “non-football critical” elements and final touches into the season similar to Phase 1 last year, at this point in the process we still expect to be ready to play football September 1.”
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald
UM athletic director Blake James told The Herald the school does have a backup plan ready, but they haven’t moved the home opener against Florida A&M up to FAU Stadium in Boca Raton, as Goldberg claimed. The Hurricanes host the annual rivalry game against Florida State Oct. 8.
An earlier version of this story misidentified Hank Goldberg’s media affiliation.