Coral Springs Charter’s maiden voyage to the state final four ended with a heart-breaking 70-67 loss to Jacksonville Ribault at the Lakeland Center on Tuesday night.
The Panthers fell behind 39-28 at halftime before mounting a frenetic fourth-quarter rally in the Class 4A state semifinals that ultimately fell short.
“I knew we were going to come back,” Charter coach Alex Groothius said. “Unfortunately for us, Ribault had a really good shooting night from the line and real good shooting night from the field. I was counting on them missing more than they did.”
Junior 6-5 swingman Austin Vaughn carried the Panthers with a game-high 20 points before fouling out with 4:04 left and the Trojans holding a 57-52 lead.
Trojans guard Torien Moore, who drew the fifth foul on Vaughn, completed the three-point play only to see the Panthers (18-11) mount a rally without its best player.
Charter, showing the mettle that helped it rattle off eight consecutive wins to earn its first berth in the semifinals, answered with a 8-3 run, capped by Trevor Lee threading a pass from midcourt to Karl Hylton for a layup, that drew the Panthers to 63-60 with 1:22 left.
Hylton followed with a jumper from the baseline to keep the deficit at three-points with 1:06 left. But Trojans forward Hari Hall got loose for a dunk and Daishon Smith added a free throw to thwart the Panthers’ rally.
“Our kids deserved so much credit,” Groothius said. “They battled and scrapped against one of the top teams we are going to play against. We were one play away in my book from going to the state championship game. I’m real proud of my kids.”
Alonzo Taylor added 17 points, Lee had nine points and five assists and Hylton had 13 points for Charter.
The Panthers, looking nothing like the offensive juggernaut which rolled up 111 points against Miami Pace in the Region 4-4A final, were their own worse enemy in the pivotal first half.
Charter turned the ball over 10 times and allowed the Trojans to convert on 15 of 27 field goal attempts, including 5 of 11 from three-point range.
Smith inflicted the most damage on the Panthers, scoring 13 of his 20 points in the first half, including back to back three-pointers and a layup to give the Trojans a 33-22 lead with 2:44 left in the second quarter.
Class 4A State semifinals: JR 70, CSC 67: CSC (18-11): Taylor 17, Kinsey 8, Lee 9, Vaughn 20, Hylton 13. Rib (29-3): Dixon 5, Williams 6, Smith 20, Moore 14, Hall 16, Fowler 5, Dorsey 2, Jones 2. Half: Rib 39-28. Three-pointers: Taylor 2, Kinsey 2, Vaughn 1, Dixon 1, Smith 3, Moore 1, Hall 2, Fowler 1. Rebounds: Lee 12. Assists: Lee 5.
Sagemont senior Kandice Smith signed her National Letter of Intent to play at Ave Maria University. Smith, who will join the university’s pre-med program, is the first Sagemont student-athlete to sign a letter of intent to attend Ave Maria.
• Pembroke Pines Charter 7, Belen 5: WP: Anthony Garcia (1-0), 5 innings, 3 K's, no runs allowed. Top performers: Danny Rodriguez-Velez 2-4, 4 RBI's. Trent Herzog 2-3, RBI.
•South Plantation 8, McArthur 3:
WP: Michael Nele (1-1). LP: John Gacitua. Top performers: Steven Seagur 2-4. Michael Nele 7 IP, 6 Ks, 2 RBIs. Josh Matos 1-4, double, 2 RBIs. SP 1-2-1.
• Archbishop Curley 22, Hollywood Christian 7: WP: Lambert. Top performers: Valentina Carris 3-4, 2 RBI. Alyssa Lambert 2-3, RBI. Sarisha Wiggins 2-2. ABC 1-4.
• Archbishop McCarthy 18, Pines Charter 1: AMC: Cam Delisle 4 goals, 4 assists. Matt Wilson 4 goals, 3 assists. Keith Gilchrist 4 goals.
• St. Thomas Aquinas 18, South Plantation 1: STA: Chloe Mujwit 4 goals, 4 assists. Cary Adams 4 goals, assist. Lauren Morando 2 goals, assist. SP: Dominique SantaMaria goal. Valentina Rivera 7 saves. SP 1-1. STA 2-0.
•Cypress Bay 10, West Broward 9:
WB: Arielle Jonas 3 goals. Kristi Ten 3 goals.
•Douglas 20, University School 13:
US: Jada Preston 5 goals. Madison Kaplan 3 goals. Caroline Kapp 2 goals. Danielle DeRamon goal.
GIRLS’ WATER POLO
• St.Thomas Aquinas 18, South Broward 3: Anna Smith-Johnson 4 goals. Mimi Nakis 4 goals. SB: Tatum Skove scored. STA 2-1.
•Westminster Academy 23, Northeast 7:
Koral LaStella 5 goals. Emily Stevenson 15. NE: Osianna McReed. WA 3-0.
BOYS’ WATER POLO
•Westminster Academy 23, Northeast 4:
WA: Will Scasserra 9 goals. Jason Woodburn 8 goals. NE: Thomas Daberko 2 goals. WA 2-1.
• University School 4, Belen 3: 1. David Omsky (US) d. Alejandro Hasagawa (B) 8-0. 2. Ryan Khan (US) d. Christian Perez (B) 8-1. 3. Danny Martinez (B) d. Mark Fedotovskiy (US) 8-6. 4. Alec Zager (US) d. Santi Vidal (B) 8-5. 5. Genaro Poulat (B) d. Jordan Gutt (US) 8-6. Doubles: 1. David Omsky & Ryan Khan (US) d. Alejandro Hasagawa & Danny Martinez (B) 8-1. 2. Patrick Siu & Christian Perez (B) d. Mark Fedotovskiy & Jordan Gutt (US) 8-1.
•American Heritage Plantation 7, American Heritage Delray 0:
Zack Ebenfeld d. Robbins 8-2. German Ayubi d. Rich 8-4. Jordan Skalet d. Sharma 8-2. Mikey Ozery d. Spork 8-0. Romare Gonzalez d. McAdoo 8-1. Doubles: Lorenzo Lamo/Max Gazeroglu d. Robbins/Rich 8-1. Jordan Glaser/Val Gataullin d. Sharma/Dodge 8-6.
•St. Andrews 6, Pine Crest 1:
Andrew Dyltema d. Sam Dern. Louis Seigler d. Reb Mariano. Joey Brander d. Ned Shashoua. Walker Wadsworth d. Izzy Ercan. JD Alvando d. Simon Thylen. Doubles: Dyltema/Brander d. Dern/Seigler. Mariano/Wadsworth d. Kotite/Weisberg.
•Cardinal Gibbons 6, Coral Glades H.S.
- Ernewein (CG) d. Y. Patel 8-2; Northecide (CG) d. S. Patel 8-1; Soong (CG) d. Mann 8-1; Cole (CG) d. S. Patel 8-2 ; Taylor (CG) d. Aleman 8-2;Doubles
Mendoza/Northecide (CG) d. Y. Patel/Mann 8-4; S. Patel/S. Patel (CGlades) d. Parez/Lopez 8-3
•Pine Crest 6, St. Andrews 1:
Stephanie Taylor d. Anastasia Kerzebson. Ines de Bracamonte d. Rachel Lowen. Demi Snyder d. Caroline Hsu. Kaely Malik d. Marcie Tendrell. Rebei McKay d. Carly Feldman. Doubles: Taylor/Malik d. Kerzebson/Tendrell. Shecter/Snyder d. Hsu/Lowen.
•Cardinal Gibbons H.S 6, Coral Glades H.S.
- Landi (CG) d. Sehr 8-1; Norton (CG) d. G. Hoofatt 8-3 ; Harmon (CG) d. Jean Baptiste 8-1; VanSciver (CG) d. P. Hoofatt 8-6; Cumming (CG) d. Katz 8-1;Doubles
Sehr/ P. Hoofatt (CGlades) d. Watkins/Brown 7-5; Cardinal Gibbons by Forfeit