'It is hard to be an experienced quarterback without experience.'
The Miami Hurricanes had their first scrimmage, closed to the public and media, on Saturday morning at Hard Rock Stadium.
The quarterbacks were not allowed to be tackled, per coach Mark Richt.
Richt talked to the media afterward. Basically, he said the veterans did a lot better than the youngest players, and that apparently includes the quarterbacks. Richt acknowledged that the scrimmage helped him move a bit closer to a quarterback decision, but indicated there’s still time and that everyone, especially the youngest players, should improve exponentially.
The second scrimmage is next week on campus, Richt said.
The bad news: Top running back Mark Walton bruised his hip and was reportedly helped off the field.
“Praise the Lord on that one,’’ was all Richt said about Walton.
The No. 1 defense beat the No. 2 offense. “The defense had the day.’’
▪ Redshirt junior quarterback Malik Rosier was 8 for 14, 181 yards and 3 touchdowns (”Bulk of yardage and TDs were more situational, but he did throw a touchdown in the red zone. We had a red zone drive that started on the plus-16 and he threw a nice TD pass to [Chris] Herndon”)
▪ Freshman N’Kosi Perry, 6 for 15 for 68 yards and he threw an interception.
▪ Redshirt junior Evan Shirreffs was 10 of 14 for 132 yards and TD.
Vincent Testaverde 1 for 5 for 3 yards.
▪ Cade Weldon 2 for 10 for 40 yards and a pick.
“It was about as hot and humid as I’ve ever felt out there in a practice,’’ Richt said.
“In the scrimmage downs, when we were trying to move the ball, the No. 1 defense had the day. There was one play where the No. 2 offense had a big play running the ball, broke big, got it inside the 20 and then we got a missed assignment, then jumped offsides, then we get a sack. We kick a field goal and it hits the crossbar.”
“The No. 1 offense had a field goal drive, two TD drives and had a TD drive in the red zone and a couple TDs in third-and-medium. Just not very consistent offensively. A little disappointed in that. Part of that is trying to play a lot of guys, trying to play four quarterbacks. Each of the quarterbacks had at least one rack with the No. 1s, each of the top 4 quarterbacks had at least one rack with the No. 2 unit.”
“You could see the veteran guys did better, and not just at quarterback, but with just about every position across the board.’’
“It’s hard to be an experienced quarterback without experience. And none of them have really been a starter for a whole season. Whoever becomes the guy has got to be the guy for the first time. The guys who have had the most experience and in this system, Malik and Evan, they did better. They knew what to do, knew where to go with the ball. They functioned much better than the young guys.
“Our defense is very good, we all know that. [Defensive coordinator] Manny [Diaz] was dialing up a few beauties and we were having a tough time picking things up at times so the ball got thrown to the wrong spots sometimes under pressure.’’
“It was a big struggle for a lot of those young kids, because not only was it hot and nasty and things weren’t going good, but just really having a good grasp of what we were trying to do. You could see they were struggling with assignments.’’
“Scrimmages do matter. You weigh those a little big bigger. The young guys will be a lot better a week from now.’’
▪ Linebacker Darrion Owens 6 tackles, Romeo Finley 5 tackles and a pick.
▪ Linebacker Shaq Quarterman 4 tackles.
▪ Cornerback Malek Young had 2 tackles and an interception.
▪ Safety Jaquan Johnson had 2 tackles and blocked a field goal: “Outstanding.”
▪ Defensive end Joe Jackson had a sack.
▪ Defensive end Scott Patchan had a very good day: 4 tackles, 3 tackles for loss and two sacks.
▪ 3 tackles for linebacker Terry McCray, safety Amari Carter, linebacker Mike Smith, Tyler Murphy, De’Andre Wilder.
▪ Mark Walton 7 rushes for 39 yards and a touchdown.. Travis Homer 8 carries for 55 yards and a fumble, Trayone Gray 5 for 2 yards. Crispian Atkins 5 for 17 yards..
Receiving: Braxton Berrios led everyone with 7 catches for 92 yards.. Ahmmon Richards 3 catches for 91 and TD.. Dionte Mullins 32 yard catch and touchdown.. Mike Harley 56-yard TD catch. Herndon 3 catches 49 yards and a TD; Michael Irvin II 2 catches for 20 and fumbled.
DeeJay Dallas 4 catches for 30.
Darrell Langham 2 “nice” catches,”He had a nice day as far as being big and playing big. ouple tightly contested throws he made catches in real tight coverage.”
No 1 defense I wouldn’t say totally dominated but did have a good day.