The Jameis Winston investigation continues to grow more bizarre by the day.
Winston was revealed as a suspect in sexual assault allegations two weeks ago, stemming from a Dec. 7, 2012, incident. Since then, it has been a series of conflicting public statements from attorneys, allegations of botched investigations and cover-ups, and a series of leaks from those close to the investigation.
The trend continued Wednesday.
Winston’s lawyer, Tim Jansen, met with State Attorney Willie Meggs in an attempt to get him to speed up the timeframe for determining whether charges would be filed. Meggs has indicated no decision is likely in the next two weeks.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
“We expressed our concerns that the delay would affect Mr. Winston’s reputation, voters in the Heisman and Florida State’s ability to go to the national championship game,” Jansen told ESPN. “We’re hoping this cloud can be lifted sooner rather than later.”
A representative from Meggs’ office called the meeting “unproductive.”
Meanwhile, two more reports of prior run-ins between Winston and Tallahassee law enforcement surfaced unrelated to the sexual assault case. He was not arrested or charged. Winston’s attorney said he was unaware of both incidents.
In the first case, Tallahassee police records show officers were called to the Legacy Suites apartments on Nov. 27, 2012, two days after management said 13 windows had been damaged by players shooting BB guns at each other.
Both Winston and his roommate at the time, defensive end Chris Casher, told officers the next day that they had been involved in a series of “battles” involving FSU players that had been going on for a month. They denied shooting any BB guns themselves but said someone threw eggs at their window and shot at them with a paintball launcher.
Police found BBs littering the ground and saw windows in several apartments with small holes.
Police records show the apartment manager, Dave Sudekum, initially wanted to evict Winston and three other tenants but decided to not press charges after an FSU athletic department official promised that the players would pay for the damage.
Sudekum initially told a reporter this week that a previous management company had been involved. When told that his name was on the report, he then said he couldn’t remember the incident.
FSU athletic department officials have not responded to emailed questions about the incident.
In the second incident, Winston came into a Burger King with three men but did not order food. An employee, who recognized him, first saw him using ketchup cups to take soda. He asked for a water cup after she told him to stop, but he admitted he would use it for soda and filled it repeatedly with soda over her objections, the report said.
The report says Winston was never interviewed about the incident because the restaurant declined to prosecute.
Perhaps most bizarrely, the Tallahassee Police Department posted a timeline of events in the Winston investigation to the city’s website, Talgov.com.
“As we have previously said, this is an active investigation and we are not going to discuss details that could possibly impact this case,” Jansen said in a statement. “At the same time, there have been process questions that I want to respond to because I believe they demonstrate TPD's professionalism and the investigative processes of a sexual battery case.”
Jansen contacted the TPD asking that it be removed from the site.
“We are deeply troubled, that the Tallahassee Police Department is putting on their webpage a timeline of the events in this case, which is an ongoing investigation, which contains some information which violates my clients rights to a fair resolution of his case, including the tainting of a potential jury pool. There is no reason whatsoever for that time line to be on a public web page at this time,” Jansen told the Tallahassee Democrat.
In the TPD’s timeline of events, the victim’s attorney broke off communication on January 11 — the day after the victim had named a suspect and scheduled a meeting with police.
One month later on February 11, the case was declared open-inactive.
The timeline alleges on Feb. 22 and March 2, “Results received from the FDLE Toxicology Section are received, which are relayed to the victim's attorney. The victim’s attorney stated she would review the findings with her client and contact the investigator if she wished to pursue the case further.”
That series of events would seem to be at odds with the one presented by the victim’s attorney, Patricia Carroll, in two statements made to the Tampa Bay Times. In those statements she alleges it took the TPD “four months to verbally inform the family of the blood work results.”
Miami Herald wire services also contributed to this report.