As thousands of South Florida residents wait for power to be restored at their homes after Hurricane Irma, several organizations and governmental agencies are providing hot meals, ice and water Friday evening or over the weekend.
Here is a list of some of those distributions across Miami-Dade, Broward and parts of Monroe County:
▪ Urgent, Inc. in collaboration with Reverend William Cook, several local and state officials and the Miami Times will serve breakfast and lunch in Overtown on Saturday at the Greater Bethel AME Church, 845 NW Eighth St. For more information, contact Saliha Nelson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 786-581-7821.
Breakfast will be served from 8 to 11 a.m. and lunch will be served from 3 to 5:30 p.m.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ Lucy’s Retired Surfers’ Bar & Restaurant in Key West, 320 Grinnell St., will operate as a Red Cross Distribution Center for water over the weekend.
▪ Miami Gardens will host a free community lunch from 2 to 3:30 p.m. Saturday in The Hamlet at Walden Pond apartment complex, 20855 NW Ninth Ct.
▪ North Miami is hosting two community picnics over the weekend with hot food and soft drinks.
Saturday’s picnic will go from 4 to 6 p.m. at the Sunkist Grove Community Center, 12500 NW 13th Ave. Sunday’s event will run from 3 to 5 p.m. at the Griffing Community Center, at 12220 Griffing Blvd.
▪ Two assisted living facilities in Miami-Dade and Palm Beach are serving meals to seniors on Monday, Sept. 18, from 5 to 7 p.m.
The locations are Hidden Ranches in Miami Gardens, 1864 NW 17th St. and Regal Park Assisted Living in Boynton Beach, 1708 NE 4th St. The seniors must be Miami-Dade or Palm Beach residents.
▪ Miami-Dade officials were offering hot meals starting at 6 p.m. Friday at Mr. Cool Appliances, 830 E. First Ave., in Hialeah.
▪ Broward County is distributing water, ice and pre-packaged meals to residents at select locations.
McTyre Park, 3501 SW 56th Ave., West Park, until 7 p.m. Friday or until supplies run out. Central Broward Regional Park, 3700 NW 11th Pl., Lauderhill, will be open 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
▪ The Kiwanis Club of Little Havana is accepting donations Friday and Saturday at their headquarters, 1400 SW First St., to deliver to the Tamiami Park emergency shelter. The foundation is seeking donations of food, water, clothes, towels, games, baby formula, mats/mattresses, pillows, blankets and toiletries.
▪ Publix is distributing water and ice at three locations in the Keys on Saturday at 10 a.m.
The locations are in Islamorada at Mile Marker 83, Marathon at Mile Marker 50 and Big Pine Key at Mile Marker 30.