This dad held up an Einstein's at gunpoint — while his 4-year-old waited in the car, cops say

Karl Lormeus
Karl Lormeus Boca Raton Police Department

Workers at an Einstein's Bagels in Boca Raton closing up shop on Wednesday could not have expected that their shift would end in such a frightening way.

According to the Boca Raton Police Department, at around 5:45 p.m., a cop was flagged down by two individuals who say they were just held up at the casual food restaurant on North Federal Highway.

"One of the employees said he was bringing the trash out the back door when a black male approached him brandishing what appeared to be a black handgun," read the report. "The suspect then followed the employee back into the business where he demanded employees open the safe."

The suspect also took cellphones from the victims, about $2,200 in cash, and ripped out the landline phone before fleeing, according to the cops.

That wasn't the end of the story.

Waiting for the suspect in the getaway car: the driver, Johnny Fontus, 24, of Boynton Beach, and a 4-year-old child. The boy is the son of the man accused of being the gunman, Karl Lormeus, of Lantana.

One of the Einstein's employees, Sherly Polo, told CBS12 that she couldn't believe a father would bring his kid to a crime scene.

"I feel it's really sad," Polo told the station. "They're supposed to know better because you should not put that baby's life in jeopardy.

Mark Economou, spokesman for the Boca Raton Police Department, concurs: "I think anybody would consider that not a smart idea."

But the child was not to be in the getaway car for long.

An observant employee at the Metro PCS next door saw something amiss at the bagel shop and jotted down the license plate for police, who later pulled over the car, a white Honda Accord, on Interstate 95 North.

Besides encountering the boy in the back seat, officers found an airsoft or "BB" gun, mask, cash and the stolen phones.

Lormeus was charged with armed robbery, grand theft and child neglect. Fontus was charged with armed robbery and grand theft.

As for the child, he was turned over to the Department of Children & Families, then handed over to his biological mother, reports CBS12.