A former campaign volunteer for Sen. Marco Rubio’s failed presidential run resigned Friday from his current role as a media aide for the Senate Judiciary Committee amid reports that he had previously been accused of sexual harassment at an old job.
Garret Ventry, a 29-year-old who helped lead the Republican response to allegations of sexual assault against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, said he stepped down “in order to not be a distraction,” according to the Washington Post.
Ventry, who reportedly last worked in 2017 as the social media adviser in the office of North Carolina House Majority Leader John Bell, was a Rubio volunteer based in North Carolina ahead of the 2016 presidential election, NBC News reports.
But when he applied for the social media adviser job, Ventry flubbed his resume, exaggerating the role he played on Rubio’s campaign, NBC reported. Two sources told NBC News that Ventry claimed he held a paid position on Rubio’s team when he was actually an unpaid volunteer — an act of dishonesty that, in no small part, led to his termination.
Ventry also faced sexual harassment allegations from an employee of the North Carolina General Assembly’s Republican staff, charges he denies, according to NBC News.
When questioned by NBC News, Bell declined to give details about why Ventry was let go.
Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, who heads the Senate Judiciary Committee, told NBC News that Ventry denied “allegations of misconduct.” A committee spokesperson released a statement about Ventry’s departure, calling him “temporary staff”: “While (Ventry) strongly denies allegations of wrongdoing, he decided to resign to avoid causing any distraction from the work of the committee.”
Ventry also appears to be employed by CRC Public Relations, according to NBC. CRC is a prominent public relations firm for conservative causes, including the efforts to Kavanaugh’s nomination approved.
The Herald has reached out to an aide to Sen. Rubio for comment.
This story will be updated.