Controversy is flaring over the six Guantánamo detainees taken in by Uruguay for resettlement, with even the man who pushed through the plan, President Jose Mujica, seeming to criticize them for lacking a work ethic.
The men were locked up for more than a dozen years at the U.S. Navy base in Cuba before they were brought to Montevideo in December. Mujica agreed to accept them as a humanitarian gesture and said they would be given help getting established in a country of 3.3 million people with a total Muslim population of perhaps 300.
The government has offered them a residential facility to study Spanish, learn about Uruguayan culture and integrate to their new home.
But Syrian refugee Abu Wa’el Dhiab recently complained that the men have “walked out of a prison to enter another one.”
In a TV interview, Dhiab expressed thanks to Uruguay, but said it needs a plan for helping the ex-detainees, who need “their families, a home, a job and some sort of income that allows them to build a future.”
A labor union that has been helping the men says, however, that they have turned down job offers.
Mujica recently visited the home where five of the six men are staying and asked them to start working. After his visit, the president said on his radio program that the former detainees are far from the ancestors of Uruguayans, who he said were gritty, hard-working immigrants.
“If these people were humble people of the desert, poor people, they’d surely be stronger and more primitive, but they’re not,” Mujica said of the former prisoners. “Through their hands, features and family histories, it seems to me that they’re middle class.”
Some opposition lawmakers have opposed the resettlement plan from the beginning, but one legislator, Sen. Ope Pasquet of the Colorado Party, defended the men Wednesday.
“The Guantánamo six were jailed for more than 10 years in dreadful conditions,” he wrote on his Twitter account. “The psychological damage must be terrible. Making them work now? Premature.”
The six men were detained as suspected militants with ties to al-Qaida in 2002 but were never charged. They had been cleared for release since 2009 but could not be sent home and the U.S. struggled to find countries willing to take them.
While at Guantánamo , Dhiab was at the center of a legal battle in U.S. courts over the military’s use of force-feeding. When he arrived in Uruguay, he was reportedly weak as a result of repeated hunger strikes. In recent videos, Dhiab appears thin but not overly so.
Since January 2002, when the Guantánamo detention center opened, about 620 prisoners have been released or transferred, with the vast majority making no public statements or appearances.