A man lost his right hand as he rang in the new year with a homemade fireworks display, a Beach Safety official said.
The Daytona Beach News-Journal reports that Gene N. Hartwell, 35, was injured by an explosion shortly before 11:40 p.m. Wednesday in Daytona Beach Shores, Volusia County Beach Safety Ocean Rescue Capt. Tammy Marris said.
Marris said responders were only able to find some pieces of Hartwell’s hand.
The Volusia County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the accident and will determine whether Hartwell will face any legal repercussions because it's illegal to shoot off fireworks on Volusia’s beaches, Marris said.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.