South Florida has seen its share of bold, wacky proposals through the years. A soaring needle. A giant middle finger. A spinning stadium sculpture. A huge horse slaying a dragon.
Some of them have come to life. Others are still in the dreams of their dreamers.
The latest big idea comes from a developer who wants to plop a twisting 633-foot tower into Overtown, lighting up the edge of downtown with flashing messages and video.
Here are 8 other landmark ideas through the years:
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
1. Backyard middle finger: Porn king Al Goldstein erected an 11-foot tall raised middle finger in the backyard of his Pompano Beach home that was visible to boaters in the Intracoastal Waterway.
2. Home-run sculpture: The Miami Marlins installed a home-run sculpture that spurts water and sings flamingos, seagulls and palm trees.
3. Giant pegasus: Gulfstream Park built a 110-foot winged horse slaying a dragon. Homes and businesses backing up to the piece look up to a giant horse patootie.
4. Ski slope on a toxic dump: Businessmen tried to put a domed ski resort called Solar Mountain on a former Superfund cleanup site in North Miami.
5. SpongeBob SquarePants World: The giant Malaysian resort company Genting proposed a mega-gambing resort for the former Miami Herald filled inspired by a coral reef theme, with a lagoon, lava-looking towers and an elevated platform.
6. Soaring needle: A 1,000-foot observation tower is the dream of a developer wanting a soaring restaurant, ballroom, bungee jump and a Disney-like Soarin’-style ride.
7. Wild idea: A $930 million theme park called The Wilds was pitched for land near Zoo Miami near a previously extinct dinosaur park.
8. Porn backdrop: The phallic Flagler Memorial on Monument Island honors Florida Pioneer Henry Flagler. But the 110-foot sculpture has served as the backdrop for an online porn video produced by RealityKings.com.