Here’s what Miami is talking about Thursday:
1. Admit it: You have a thing for fried food on a stick. Or spinning until you puke. Well, your time has come. The Miami-Dade County Fair and Exposition opens Thursday afternoon with all that and more. The fair is more than carny rides and funnel cakes. Check out the concerts and student exhibits.
2. The up-and-down UM basketball team seems to be up again, with a victory in an opening round of the ACC tournament that has led to Thursday’s quarterfinal match-up against Notre Dame. Does coach Jim Larrañaga’s troops have enough to win the ACC and make it to the NCAA tournament?
3. What will become of the Coconut Grove Playhouse? It’s quite the drama. There’s the Kevin Spacey Factor and some political intrigue in Thursday’s discussion by Miami-Dade’s economic prosperity committee.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald
4. On the animal beat, a Keys man has been charged with beating up his mother’s cat, which suffered a bloody mouth, swollen eyes and a cut nose. (He also took some swings at his mother’s boyfriend, according to cops.) And near Tampa, two teens were arrested, accused of strapping a dog to railroad tracks and shooting it.
5. Attention, foodies: Miami-Dade College on Thursday is the place for chefs and restaurateurs for a daylong food forum. Yum. Learn about how food fits in with health and culture at the event, the precursor to Expo Milano 2015, a food fair in Italy that starts in May. And yes, lunch will be served.