A Key West carpenter is accused of sexually assaulting a 7-year-old girl just before Christmas.
Edwardo "Chino" Diaz, 48, was taken to jail last week and held on $1 million bond. He denied to investigators he assaulted the girl and even offered to take a lie-detector test and have a DNA test done if needed; authorities swabbed the inside of his mouth.
According to a heavily redacted Key West Police Department report, Officer Kuniko Keohane and Detective Janeth Culert responded to the girl's home after someone called police about the incident. They were told that sometime between Dec. 19 and 21, Diaz allegedly rectally assaulted the girl with a finger and also licked her private areas.
He reportedly told the victim "not to tell and that he was not supposed to do that to children."
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Diaz was called and went to the Police Department for an interview, where he denied the allegations. He said he "has never inappropriately touched [the girl] or any other child."
Diaz is charged with felony sexual battery on a minor and felony lewd and lascivious behavior on a minor. If convicted, he could face life in prison.