Police have identified the man suspected of breaking into a Key Biscayne home last week, tying up a housekeeper and escaping. They say he’s considered armed and dangerous.
The suspense-filled episode two weeks ago on the normally reserved island caused the shutdown of two local schools, had residents concerned for their safety and led to the police chief trying to allay fears of major crimes on the Key.
“This hasn’t happened here on Key Biscayne,” Police Chief Charles Press said as Miami-Dade police joined his troops in an unsuccessful search for the intruder.
Tuesday, Miami-Dade police identified the suspect as Vincent Todd Johnson Jr., a 23-year-old Miami resident who drives a 2016 Chevrolet Camaro with the license tag GAR E27.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald
Johnson was described as 6-foot-2 and weighing about 170 pounds.
Police said it was early morning on Dec. 2, when Johnson, posing as a delivery man, knocked on the door of the Key Biscayne home. The knock was answered by Blanca Vargas, a housekeeper in her 40s.
Surveillance video inside the home captured Johnson holding a gun and leading Vargas through the house with his arm around her neck, before tying her hands with zip ties. He then ransacked the home and fled.
Vargas managed to untie herself, then run to a nearby daycare center, where a worker called for help. Officers arriving at the daycare stormed the facility searching for the home invader, but came up short.
Key Biscayne police officers and Miami-Dade SWAT team members then spent most of the afternoon of Dec. 2 searching the island and trying to secure it in an attempt to capture Johnson.
He hasn’t been seen since.