Ammonia leak at food processing plant makes workers sick in Northwest Miami-Dade
One person was taken to the hospital and dozens more were checked by fire rescue crews after an ammonia leak was reported at a food processing plant near Doral.
At about 7:30 p.m. Monday, Miami-Dade Fire Rescue received a call that there was an ammonia leak at the Crystal Valley Foods plant at 2950 NW 74th Ave.
Miami Dade Fire Rescue Lt. Felipe Lay said when crews arrived, the 93 employees had been evacuated.
“There were a lot of patients and everyone was checked,” Lay said. “Only one was taken to the hospital.”
The department’s Hazmat team responded to mitigate the leak, Lay said.
“An ammonia leak is a common thing in processing plants,” he said.