Nearly two dozen people were sickened Monday afternoon in a carbon monoxide leak at a Northwest Miami-Dade office building.
At least 17 were taken to area hospitals, six were treated on scene and released and dozens more were sent home from the building at 700 NW 107th Ave. Miami-Dade Fire Rescue were called to the building around noon when they received a report of a strong gas smell.
Erika Benitez, a spokeswoman for Miami-Dade Fire Rescue, said several people were showing signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. They complained of being lightheaded and dizzy.
By the afternoon, crews determined that a sewer pipe in a bathroom was to blame for the building’s troubles. There was also high levels of carbon monoxide and hydrogen sulfide in an elevator room that stored batteries, Benitez said.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald
“An environmental mitigation company has been called to ensure the necessary repairs are made,” Benitez said in an e-mail.