West Miami-Dade

2 dozen sickened in office building after gas smell reported; sewer pipe to blame

Miami-Dade police and fire-rescue hazmat personnel respond to a possible carbon monoxide leak at 700 NW 107th Ave. on Monday April 4 2016.
Miami-Dade police and fire-rescue hazmat personnel respond to a possible carbon monoxide leak at 700 NW 107th Ave. on Monday April 4 2016. el Nuevo Herald

Nearly two dozen people were sickened Monday afternoon in a carbon monoxide leak at a Northwest Miami-Dade office building.

At least 17 were taken to area hospitals, six were treated on scene and released and dozens more were sent home from the building at 700 NW 107th Ave. Miami-Dade Fire Rescue were called to the building around noon when they received a report of a strong gas smell.

Erika Benitez, a spokeswoman for Miami-Dade Fire Rescue, said several people were showing signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. They complained of being lightheaded and dizzy.

By the afternoon, crews determined that a sewer pipe in a bathroom was to blame for the building’s troubles. There was also high levels of carbon monoxide and hydrogen sulfide in an elevator room that stored batteries, Benitez said.

“An environmental mitigation company has been called to ensure the necessary repairs are made,” Benitez said in an e-mail.

Carli Teproff: 305-376-3587, @CTeproff

  Comments