Miami Gardens police have charged a second suspect in the death of Qualecia James, a pregnant woman killed in a drive-by shooting earlier this year.
James, 21, was shot March 30 as she sat in the back seat of a car at Northwest 182nd Street and 32nd Avenue. Doctors at Jackson Memorial Hospital delivered her baby, but he died five days later.
Police charged Gregory Medy, 18, with one count of first-degree murder in James’ killing. He was taken into custody on Aug. 8.
The first suspect, Antwone Jackson, 20, was charged in the killing last month, confessing to police that he used an assault rifle to fire at the car. Detectives believe the March 30 shooting was a case of mistaken identity and that James and others in the car were not the intended targets.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald
Jackson’s arrest records showed he was wearing an ankle monitor on the afternoon of the shooting. The signal went offline about 20 blocks from where the shots were fired shortly after 2 p.m. The monitor went back online a few minutes later, away from the scene.
Investigators did not specify Medy’s role in the shooting.
Miami Gardens Police Chief Stephen Johnson said there still are other suspects in the case, but did not give specific details.
He thanked the community for coming forward and providing more information in recent months.
“We are getting very good responses,” Johnson said. “We’re getting very good cooperation and not just on this case, but on other cases.”
James’ mother, Marcella James, thanked the police and encouraged the community to continue to work with them.
“If there’s anybody out there that has anymore information to bring the rest of these guys to justice, please pick up the phone, make the call,” James said.
Johnson said that he hopes this arrest will, “send a very strong message that this community is together.”
“This community is now back into the hands of the residents,” Johnson said.