Doral has a permanent city clerk: Constanza “Connie” Diaz, the city’s interim clerk since December, has been selected from a six-person finalists pool.
The process began after the city fired longtime city clerk Barbara Herrera on Dec. 10. In January, a city committee unanimously decided the search would be conducted through Doral’s human resources department instead of a recruiting agency or search firm. The application deadline was mid-February.
Minimum requirements for the job were either a four-year degree from an accredited U.S. college or university, four years of city clerk experience, or currently pursuing certification to become a city clerk. The salary range was $75,000 to $113,000 and Diaz’s new salary is still being negotiated.
The city narrowed its hunt from 81 original applicants to seven top contenders:
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ Diaz, the interim city clerk, was previously Doral’s deputy city clerk. She has an associate’s degree in public administration.
▪ Rayetta Floyd resides in Americus, Georgia, and is on her county’s board of commissioners. Before that, she was a county clerk. She has a master’s degree in business administration and criminal justice.
▪ Sherry Henderson is city clerk and elections superintendent of Riverdale, Georgia, and was previously an assistant city clerk. She has a bachelor’s degree in airway computer science.
▪ Queenester Nieves of West Palm Beach is a public-records officer for the South Florida Water Management District and was previously a deputy city clerk at the agency for four years. Nieves has a master’s in business administration.
▪ Brenda Pree is city clerk of Jackson, Mississippi, and was previously a justice court clerk. She has a bachelor’s degree in business administration.
▪ Billy Urquia, a deputy city clerk in Coral Gables since 2007. He later withdrew his application, leaving six candidates.
▪ Louie Valdez, a former clerk in Huachuca City, Arizona.
The City Council chose Diaz at its March 18 meeting.