Two Miami homes burned Sunday in separate fires that left several people homeless, according to Miami Fire Rescue.
The first blaze broke out just before 2 p.m. at Northwest 17th Avenue and 44th Street, Lt. Ignatius Carroll said.
When rescue units arrived at the single-family home there was heavy smoke and flames showing, Carroll said.
The homeowner told fire rescue he was gone for about 20 minutes and when he returned he saw two people running and his house on fire, Carroll said.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Carroll said the house did not have any power and the homeowner used kerosene lamps for light. The fire was intense and it took about 25 firefighters 30 minutes to extinguish the blaze.
Two firefighters received second-degree burns on their wrists.
“Lesson learned here is anything that requires fuel should not be used inside,” said Carroll, who added that the fire is now being investigated.
In the second incident, the fire broke out in a home on the 5700 block of North Miami Avenue. According to Carroll, someone in the house put a pot on the stove with grease and forgot about it. The burning pot sparked the fire.
The house is occupied by three sisters in their 20s and 30s and their children, a 12-year-old and an 8-month-old. No one was injured in the blaze.
“They panicked and ran out the back door,” Carroll said. Fire rescue crews were able to contain the fire to the kitchen, but there was extensive smoke damage throughout the house.
Red Cross will help all the fire victims, Carroll said.