1. Broward County and Palm Beach’s unemployment rates are dropping faster than it is in any other major metropolitan area, according to a new federal report.
2. Florida state senators are holding the first of four public hearings about the future of gambling in the Sunshine State. Some 60 people have already signed up to testify Wednesday during a meeting that will be held on the north campus of Broward College. The Senate Gaming Committee will also hold hearings in Lakeland, Jacksonville and Pensacola.
3. The Miami Heat play at the New Orleans Pelicans in another preseason tuneup. Watch the game at 8 p.m. on Sun Sports.
4. Early voting continues in Miami-Dade for a Nov. 5 special election on Jackson Health System upgrades and municipal elections in Miami, Miami Beach, Hialeah and Homestead.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald
5. Rain chance is 60 percent on Wednesday, and heavy storms have already rolled through the region. The forecast calls for highs around 90.