Prayer vigil for injured officer Major Ricky Carter
An emergency blood drive has been extended through Tuesday for the two police officers in critical condition after traffic crashes earlier this week.
Those wishing to give blood can go to one of six locations:
▪ Miami Police Department headquarters, 400 NW Second Ave.
▪ Miami Gardens Police Department headquarters, 18611 NW 27th Ave.
▪ Miami-Dade Police Department headquarters, 9105 NW 25th St.
▪ Miami-Dade Police Department, Northside Division, Northwest 81st Street and Northwest Seventh Avenue
▪ Miami-Dade Police Department, South Division, 10800 SW 211th St.
▪ Miami-Dade Police Department, Northwest Division, 5975 Miami Lakes Dr. East
Each location will be accepting blood through 3 p.m. Tuesday, except the Miami-Dade Police Department main headquarters on Northwest 25th Street. That location will remain open until 8 p.m.
Five Cold Stone Creamery locations will be offering a free “Like It” size cup of ice cream for anyone who donates on Tuesday. The locations are 2000 NW 87th Ave.; 20587 Old Cutler Rd.; 13684 SW 88th St.; 6723 Main St. in Miami Lakes; and 18225 Biscayne Blvd.
Miami Dade Maj. Ricky Carter, who runs the Northside District Station, crashed off his personal motorcycle heading south on Interstate 75 while off duty Sunday morning. Miami officer Carlos Gomez, 26, collided with a car at Northwest 29th Street and Northwest Second Avenue while on his way to an emergency call Monday around 4:30 a.m.
Each remains in critical condition at Jackson Memorial Hospital.