Florida Keys

He served time for threatening Obama and Bush. Now he’s in jail over a dog.

Raymond Hunter Geisel
Raymond Hunter Geisel

A Marathon man who served federal time for threatening the lives of President Barack Obama and former President George W. Bush is back in jail for allegedly stalking an animal control officer and threatening the lives of a deputy sheriff and a state marine officer.

Raymond Geisel, 30, a liveaboard boater in Boot Key Harbor, reportedly was upset that his dog was taken from him.

According to Monroe County Public Information Officer Cammy Clark, the German Shepherd was seized Wednesday after officers found officers found deplorable conditions on Geisel’s boat when they stopped by to do a wellness check on his wife, Susanne Kynast, 43.

They took Kynast into protective custody under the Baker Act and returned with Animal Control and backup in case Geisel was aboard. Upon approaching the vessel, officers could smell foul odors from about 40-50 feet away.

At one point, Geisel allegedly told Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission Officer Kyle Plussa, “Is it worth your life? A dog isn’t worth dying for.” He also reportedly said to Monroe County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Jamie Hughes-Buxton, “Is that dog willing to die for today?”

He was charged Thursday with two felony counts of threatening a public official and a misdemeanor count of stalking. His original jail bond was $15,000. However, on Friday night, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission added 77 misdemeanor charges on various captive wildlife violations, animal cruelty charges and nuisance injurious to public health charges, according to Clark. His bond was increased by $36,000.

The officers documented the presence of excessive layers of feces surrounding the exterior deck of the vessel. There were thigh-to-waist-high levels of untreated garbage, including blood, urine, feces and vomit that stained couch cushions and garments. Below deck, there was an infestation of flies and maggots and an intolerable amount of ammonia levels. Officers could spend no more than a few seconds below deck without respirators, according to the Sheriff’s Office report.

Four cats, five turtles and nine iguanas were seized and turned over to Monroe County Animal Control.

Hughes-Buxton wrote in her report that Geisel followed animal control officer Hugh Smith and Plussa as they were getting the other animals off his boat and bringing them to the shelter.

Geisel was given a warning for trespassing at the Marathon animal shelter at 10550 Aviation Blvd. Wednesday morning after he tried to get his dog back and was told he would be arrested if he returned. He did return, Hughes-Buxton wrote in her arrest report.

About 3:50 p.m., animal control officer Jennifer Showalter got in the shelter truck and drove to the Circle K at 111th Street and U.S. 1. While she was getting gas, she “saw Raymond drive across the Bealls parking lot and then drive behind the Circle K.” Showalter quickly returned to the shelter out of fear and “returned the van so Raymond could not follow her home,” Hughes-Buxton wrote.

Shelter Operations Director Tara Vickrey told the deputy that they shut down the shelter “due to being in fear of Raymond and what he may do.” Hughes-Buxton successfully petitioned County Court Judge Ruth Becker to sign an arrest warrant for Geisel, and deputies arrested him on 74th Street.

Kynast was also arrested Thursday on 73 misdemeanor counts, including five different captive wildlife violations per reptile onboard the vessel, numerous animal cruelty charges, multiple nuisances injurious to public health charges and derelict vessel charges.

The shelter was reopened on Saturday, according to Clark.

On Aug.7, 2008, Geisel was arrested in Miami for threatening then-candidate Obama and then-President Bush. He was later indicted on federal charges of threatening to assassinate both politicians. He was in Miami training to be a bail bondsman.

When arrested, federal agents found in his Ford Explorer a load 9 mm handgun, dozens of rounds of ammunition including armor-piercing bullets, body army, military fatigues and a machete. He pleaded out to two counts off illegally possessing ammunition and firearms because he had served time in a mental facility. He served 16 months in federal custody.

In April 2013, Geisel was arrested again, charged with possession of a weapon by a felon after police received a tip. They found a .22-caliber handgun on his boat in the harbor. Prosecutors apparently dropped the charge.

Larry Kahn: 305-440-3218