Two men and a dog are dead in Tamarac after the suicide of one of the men went horribly awry.
According to Broward Sheriff's homicide detectives, Michael Anthony Payson, 64, was found dead inside his car in the home's garage. Evidence suggests that Payson killed himself with carbon monoxide poisoning from the car.
Payson left a suicide note for his roommate, Thomas Boyle, to find. The note included instructions for Boyle to notify his family, according to detectives.
But Boyle, 72, was overcome by the fumes in the house and died while trying to comply with Payson's written request, BSO said. Boyle's dog also died inside the home, which is part of a senior community of town homes. Several nearby homes also were evacuated due to the fumes but no one else was injured.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald
Detectives believe that Boyle's death was not intended but was the result of fumes from the garage seeping into the house.
Earlier Wednesday, Broward Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Gina Carter confirmed the two men and the dog were found dead in the home at 7932 Exeter Circle West. An emergency call went out at about 8 a.m. regarding a smell of gas coming from the home from someone who went to check on the men.
Both men were retirees.
Tamarac Fire Rescue crews were greeted by a strong smell of gas.
"First responders are trying to clear the fumes out so detectives can get in and determine what caused this," Carter said.
Carbon monoxide is odorless and found in fumes produced by burning fuel in cars or trucks, small engines, stoves, grills or gas ranges, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It can build up when trapped indoors and poison people and animals who breathe it.
Last December, a Lauderhill family of three — two children and one adult — were hospitalized from possible carbon monoxide poisoning after burning charcoal in their apartment.
A homemade heater at a Lauderdale Lakes apartment complex sent seven children and three adults to the hospital from carbon monoxide poisoning in October.
A Hialeah family of four was hospitalized with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning after a generator was left on near an open window in their apartment in September, post-Hurricane Irma.
If anyone has information on the Tamarac case call Det. Zachary Scott at 954-321-4162, or anonymously at Broward Crime Stoppers at 954-493-8477 or browardcrimestoppers.org.