Broward County

Paramedics said the child who ate a battery would 'poop it out.' Now the city will pay.

Hazardous: If swallowed, button batteries can leak acid and cause internal injury.
Hazardous: If swallowed, button batteries can leak acid and cause internal injury. David Good

A couple who were told their baby didn’t need a doctor and would “poop … out” a remote control battery he swallowed are poised to get a $475,000 settlement from the city of Lauderhill, after the battery corroded and damaged his throat.

The couple, Yandy Joseph and Matthew Asea, took the advice of Lauderhill emergency responders, they said in their lawsuit, and they didn’t immediately take their young son to a hospital. When his saliva interacted with the battery lodged in his esophagus, he suffered severe medical complications and was hospitalized for three months, the lawsuit says.

The $475,000 payout would be one of the largest personal injury settlements in city history, if it’s approved by city commissioners Monday, assistant city attorney Angel Petti Rosenberg, with the Hall & Rosenberg law firm, said. The city’s insurance carrier would pay it.

Go to SunSentinel.com for the full story.

  Comments