Broward County

Broward mom held in fatal child neglect has baby in custody

Brittney Sierra, who is facing child neglect charges after her son’s tiny bones were found buried in the backyard of her former rental home, gave birth to her fourth child Wednesday while in police custody, several sources confirmed Thursday.

Sierra, 22, began having contractions Wednesday morning and was taken to the hospital, said Sierra’s attorney, Dohn Williams. Williams said he has not received any information on the gender of the baby or whether the Department of Children & Families has already taken the baby into custody.

“No one is telling me anything,” he said. “I am trying to find out what’s going on.”

Williams had said earlier that he expected DCF would take the child immediately.

DCF confirmed Thursday that Sierra had delivered the baby, but would only say the agency is still involved with the family.

Sierra has been in jail since January, when police learned her child Dontrell Melvin had been missing for 18-months. After grilling both Sierra and the baby’s father, Calvin Melvin, police found the boy’s remains in a shallow grave in the yard.

Melvin remains in jail facing two counts of felony child neglect and three counts of lying to police.

On Sept. 23, the Broward State Attorney’s Office reduced Sierra’s charges from two counts of second-degree child neglect to two counts of third-degree child neglect.

Williams then asked Judge Matthew Destry to release Sierra on her own recognizance after a “Good Samaritan,” Yolande Georges, stepped forward to house Sierra.

Despite objections from the State Attorney’s Office, the judge knocked down her bond from $100,000 to zero and allowed her to stay with Georges.

Except that Georges then changed her mind after learning how close Sierra was to delivering, and after finding out details of the charges she was facing.

By Sept. 24 Destry signed a warrant and Sierra was back in jail. On the next day, Sierra’s attorney asked for more time to find alternative housing.

Williams said Thursday, he’s still working on it.

According to the Broward Sheriff’s Office, Sierra remained in the hospital in police custody.