A makeshift charcoal stove caused 10 people to be evacuated Thursday morning from an apartment building, “overcome with suspected carbon monoxide,” according to Broward Sheriff’s Office Fire Rescue.
Among the 10 taken to Plantation General Hospital in serious condition were seven children.
Lauderhill Fire Rescue also was on the scene of the building at 2775 NW 34th Ave. in Lauderdale Lakes. BSO Fire Rescue Battalion Chief Michael Kane said an 8 a.m. call described people suffering from vomiting and headaches. The hazardous materials team determined the carbon monoxide was confined to one apartment.
The incident highlights why fire rescue organizations remind people not to use charcoal grills indoors. In a photo taken by BSO Fire Rescue, the homemade stove looks like a converted car wheel.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald
The State Fire Marshal will be investigating the incident.