Temple Judea, 5500 Granada Blvd., recently celebrated the 65th National Independence Day of Israel (called Yom HA-ATZMA-UT) and the 65th anniversary of the temple’s founding.
Participating in the celebration during a Shabbat service April 12 were the Temple Judea volunteer choir and the Temple Judea Rhythm & Jews Band.
Attending were many of Temple Judea’s original founding families, including Fern Wayne, Marcia Simon Kaplan, Dr. & Mrs. Warren Zundell, Sonya and Richard Horwich, Helen Schulner, Judith Weissel, Dottie and Arthur Apple, Jane Levin, Doris and Irwin Feder, Adah Jaffer, Lenore Kipper, Sheila Freed, Bernard Wolfson and Marvin and Thelma Stein.
In 1946, a few Jewish families living in and around south Florida’s Coral Gables area began meeting in homes, storefronts and at the University of Miami Hillel Center to worship and have social gatherings.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Their numbers increased and in September 1948, the group officially formed the reform Coral Gables Jewish Center. Soon thereafter, in 1950, a full-time rabbi and cantor were hired, followed by construction of a temple in the commercial business district of downtown Coral Gables near Miracle Mile.
In 1956, the Coral Gables Jewish Center changed its name to Temple Judea.
Click here to read more.