Hilda Alvarez-Weisz has been hired as senior vice president and business development officer. She was previously a senior vice president at Valley National Bank where she developed and helped open its banking center in Aventura.
Shivani Persaud will assume the position of vice president and branch manager. She also joins U.S. Century from Valley National Bank, where she was responsible for managing daily branch operations and personnel. Persaud will manage the bank’s Aventura Banking Center at 18201 Biscayne Blvd.
Jeff Callahan has been promoted to vice president/project executive at Moss. Callahan first joined Moss in 2005 as an assistant project manager. He studied construction management at Florida International University.
Walt Gardner joins Sabal Benefits in Fort Lauderdale as a vice president of client services. Most recently, he was the Florida human capital practice leader for Willis Towers Watson. Before that, Gardner spent 12 years with Wells Fargo as the vice president of national accounts.
Madeline Nava has been named CEO of Plantation General Hospital. She was previously chief operating officer at Lawnwood Regional Medivcal Center. Nava has a bachelor’s and master’s of health service administration from Iona College, and a respiratory therapy degree from Northwestern.
Three members of the international arbitration and litigation practice at Astigarraga Davis in Miami have been named partners in the international arbitration practice and Latin America business team at Reed Smith at the Reed Smith’s newly opened Miami office:
▪ José I. Astigarraga will lead the firm’s international arbitration practice. He previously was a shareholder at Astigarraga Davis, of which he was a founder. Astigarraga has an undergraduate degree and a law degree from University of Miami.
▪ Ed Mullins will be the Miami office managing partner. He was a partner at Astigarraga Davis. Mullins has a bachelor’s, and a law degree, from the University of Florida.
▪ M. Cristina Cárdenas focuses on international arbitration. She also was a partner at Astigarraga Davis. Cárdenas has a bachelor’s from the University of North Carolina, a J.D. from the University of Florida, and an LL.M. in international Law from UM.
Mike Guerrieri has been named vice president of creative services for NBC 6. He will lead the station’s marketing efforts as well as community outreach and programming. He previously was vice president and director of creative services for NBC’s Houston affiliate, KPRC-TV, since 2010. Guerrieri has a bachelor’s in marketing from the University of Connecticut.
At the Boys & Girls Club of Miami-Dade:
▪ Richard Hernandez has been named director of grants development. He previously was at The Children’s Trust Youth Development Initiative. Hernandez has a bachelor’s from Florida International University in English and a master’s from Nova Southeastern University in management and administration of educational programs.
▪ Anneleise Sanchez has been named director of special events and development. She was previously public information officer for Infinite Source Communications Group and an assistant public information specialist with the Florida Department of Transportation. Sanchez has a bachelor’s in English from Florida State University.
Allan Sequeira has joined Tindale Oliver as a senior associate/director of roadway design. He’ll work in Miami for the Tampa-based firm. Sequeira previously headed AES Engineering, of which he was founder.
This column lists high-level promotions of senior executives at the director level and above who are based in South Florida. These announcements, which also are at miamiherald.com, are for full-time, paid positions. Send items, including previous job; educational background; and high-res jpegs of head shots, to email@example.com.
Name: Jay Jacob
Position: Principal at Fuse Funding. He will manage loan growth and business development while ensuring credit quality.
Previous position: Senior vice president with Stonegate Bank specializing in commercial lending.
About Fuse Funding: It is a private lender based in Broward County that specializes in providing bridge loans secured by first mortgages on investment properties.
Education: Bachelor’s and MBA from the University of Florida.
Best advice he ever received: Secure a client for life by being transparent, realistic and direct about what you can do for them. That client will appreciate it if you tell them you can’t do something right away rather than take days or weeks to deliver the same news.
Choices for Spotlight are made from promotions sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
See past senior-level hires and promotions in South Florida for 2017: