The National Insurance Crime Bureau released its annual “Hot Wheels” list of the 10 most stolen vehicles in America during 2015. The Des Plaines, Ill., nonprofit dedicated to deterring auto theft and insurance fraud, identified the most stolen vehicles of any model year.
Older Honda Accords and Civics topped the list for the third year in a row. For newer models from 2010 to 2015, Toyota was the vehicle of choice for thieves; the Toyota Corolla, Nissan Altima and Toyota Camry were the most stolen newer cars, respectively.
“While older vehicles still dominate our Hot Wheels most stolen list, the number of late model vehicles with anti-theft protection on the list goes to show that technology isn’t foolproof,” NICB President and CEO Joe Wehrle said in a statement.
The most stolen vehicles are perennial best-sellers in the U.S., and the Accord consistently has ranked in the top five since the NICB began issuing the annual Hot Wheels report in 1995.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
One of the biggest reasons for auto theft is owners leaving their cars unlocked or with the keys inside. The hottest wheels are not the flashiest cars; theives prefer common cars with common parts that can be stripped and sold to unscrupulous service centers.
10. Chevrolet Impala, 9225 stolen; 2008 model was the most popular with 869 stolen.
9. Dodge Caravan, 9798 stolen; 2002 model was the most popular with 1,328 stolen.
8. Nissan Altima, 10,374 stolen; 2015 model was the most popular with 1,104 stolen.
7. Toyota Corolla, 10,574 stolen; 2014 model was the most popular with 865 stolen.
6. Dodge Ram pickup, 11,212 stolen; 2001 model was the most popular with 1,130 stolen.
5. Toyota, 15,446 stolen; 2014 model was the most popular with 1,163 stolen.
4. Chevrolet Silverado, 27,771 stolen; 2004 model was the most popular with 1,825 stolen.
3. Ford F-150, 29,396 stolen; 2006 model was the most popular with 2,958 stolen.
2. Honda Civic, 49,430 stolen; 1998 model was the most popular with 7,376 stolen.
1. Honda Accord, 52,244 stolen; 1996 model was the most popular model year, with 7,944 stolen.