A recent trip to the gym turned into a traumatizing experience for Jason Colon.
The Tampa man was working out at an LA Fitness in St. Petersburg, listening to music, when all of a sudden his AirPods wireless headphones started to emit white smoke. He quickly ripped the buds off his head. When he examined the right ear bud, it looked charred.
“It’s the craziest thing I ever went through,” Colon told News Channel 8. “It already popped. I didn’t see it happen, but I mean, it was already fried! You can see flame damage.”
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald
Apple told the station it is investigating the incident.
Colon thinks it was a faulty battery.
According to appleinsider.com, if an electronic battery fails, it can overheat and lead to internal damage.
In January, an iPhone explosion forced the evacuation of an Apple store in Zurich.