Puerto Rican reggaeton singer Daddy Yankee was recognized by Guinness World Records as the first Latino artist to reach number one on Spotify. The popular singer also received nine other awards, seven with Luis Fonsi.
The awards received by the singer of “Dura”, “Despacito” and “Gasolina” are:
- Most No. 1 singles on the Billboard Latin Rhythm Airplay chart
- Most titles charted on the Billboard Latin Rhythm Airplay chart
- Most viewed video online (*For Despacito)
- Most viewed music video online (*For Despacito)
- Most viewed music video on YouTube (duet) (*For Despacito)
- Most weeks at No.1 in the USA (single) (*For Despacito)
- Most liked video online (For Despacito)
- First YouTube video to receive 5 billion views (*For Despacito)
- Most streamed track worldwide (*For Despacito)
— GuinnessWorldRecords (@GWR) October 29, 2018
Luis Ayala Rodríguez, known internationally as Daddy Yankee, is considered “the king of reggaeton” and one of the most prolific artists of the urban genre. Throughout his 20 years as an artist, Daddy Yankee has sold more than 17 million albums and has more than 60 million followers on social media.
— GuinnessWorldRecords (@GWR) October 22, 2018
“It is an honor to add the recognitions of Guinness World Records, to be named the first Latin artist to reach no. 1 on Spotify and to break records on the Billboard charts for my career in the genre. Very honored and grateful with the support of the public,” said the singer in a statement.
“Despacito,” the song that earned him and Fonsi seven Guinness World Records, was the most listened to song in 2017 and is considered the most played song in streaming history.
The video of the duet accumulates billions of views on YouTube and is the most played of all time.