▪ Key West celebrates a segment of its pooch population on New Year’s Eve when it stages the 11th annual Key West Dachshund Walk. About 200 dachshunds of all varieties (shorthaired, wirehaired and longhaired miniature and standard) plus a few “honorary dachshunds” (other breeds) are expected to participate, many of them in costume, along with their humans. The parade will start at noon at the corner of Whitehead and Fleming streets. The route follows the 400 block of Fleming Street, 500 block of legendary Duval Street and entire one-block length of Appelrouth Lane. No registration or fee is required to participate, but donations of dog and cat food are requested for the community pet-food pantry operated by St. Mary Star of the Sea Outreach Mission. Details: www.facebook.com/Key-West-Dachshund-Walk-161327957238019/ or email email@example.com.
▪ The Royals have arrived at Madame Tussauds Orlando. Wax figures of Queen Elizabeth (in a replica of the dress she wore for her official Diamond Jubilee portrait), Prince Harry (Dege & Skinner suit from Savile Row with military medals), Prince William (double-breasted dinner suit by Gieves & Hawkes.) and Duchess Catherine (Alexander McQueen gown) are featured in a special holiday-themed set for a limited time. Madame Tussauds claims to enjoy a close relationship with the British Royal Family dating back to William IV, King of England when the attraction first opened in London in 1835. Details: www.madametussauds.com/orlando.
▪ Naples Botanical Garden will hold a number of “Night Lights” events between Dec. 16 and Jan. 4, with holiday musical performances, illumination scenes in the gardens, family activities and sweet treats. “Night Lights” will be Dec. 16-23 and 26-30, plus Jan. 2-4, but some nights are already sold out. Tickets must be purchased in advance. Details: www.NaplesGarden.org.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ In Bradenton, Manatee Village Historical Park presents A 1915 Florida Cracker Christmas on Sunday. The event, now in its seventh year, will include family-friendly entertainment, seasonal crafts, vintage silent holiday films, artisans and vendors. Florida Cracker Christmas will be from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Details: www.manateeclerk.com/historical/manateevillage.aspx
▪ Spirit Airlines will add daily nonstop service between Fort Lauderdale and Philadelphia International Airport on April 29. Tickets went on sale last week. Details: www.spirit.com.
▪ WestJet on Friday launched seasonal service to Palm Beach International Airport from Toronto. Nonstop service is offered twice a week, on Fridays and Mondays, through April. Details: www.westjet.com.
▪ Miami International Airport on Thursday surpassed the record it set in 2014 for a total of 40.9 million passengers. Airport officials project they’ll serve 44 million passengers this year. The busiest day of the year so far was the Sunday after Thanksgiving, when the airport saw more than 138,000 passengers.
MIAMI HERALD STAFF AND WIRES