Princess Cruises’ newest ship suffered a power outage over the weekend that forced the company to cancel the rest of a 12-day Mediterranean voyage.
With nearly 3,600 passengers aboard, Royal Princess lost power for about three and a half hours on Sunday as it sailed between Mykonos and Naples. Passengers were about a week into their trip, which started on Sept. 15 in Venice. A backup generator was used for crucial functions, including toilets, during the outage.
Princess, which is part of Miami-based Carnival Corp., said in a statement that the cause of the power loss is under investigation, but the problem appears to be with an electrical switchboard.
After power was restored, the ship continued to Naples; passengers are expected to remain on the ship Tuesday night and should depart Wednesday on flights arranged by the cruise line. The remainder of the cruise had to be canceled so repairs could be made, Princess said.
Passengers will receive a full refund and a 25 percent credit on a future cruise. Still unclear is whether the ship will be able to leave on its next scheduled trip, set to depart Barcelona on Friday.
Royal Princess, which launched earlier this year, is scheduled to arrive in Fort Lauderdale in late October. The ship will sail the Caribbean from Port Everglades through April.