Home & Garden

Ask a plumber: Confusion over bathroom faucet types

The Linwood widespread from Kohler.
The Linwood widespread from Kohler. TNS

Q: We are remodeling our bathroom and recently looked into faucets. To our confusion it seems that we can choose a “widespread” or a “centerset” bathroom faucet. Can you please explain basic differences between these bathroom faucets?

Betty, New Mexico

A: I don’t want to pile on, but in many cases you’ll actually have four types of bathroom faucets to choose from:

▪ Wall-mount: This kind of faucet mounts on the wall behind the sink.

▪ Single-handle: These faucets have one handle to mix hot and cold water.

▪ Centerset: This is a popular two-handle compact faucet, with a built-in deck plate. Also, centerset faucets measure 4 inches across from handle center to handle center.

▪ Widespread: These two-handle faucets are made up of separate components and can be installed 8 to 16 inches between faucet handle centers.

Remember, each faucet category can have dozens of choices. So, pick your faucet type first, to avoid a future flood of faucet-style confusion.

Master contractor and plumber Ed Del Grande is the author of the book “Ed Del Grande’s House Call” and the host of TV and Internet shows. Visit eddelgrande.com or write eadelg@cs.com.