Home & Garden

Ask a plumber: Sticking with a two-handle kitchen faucet

The Parq Kitchen Faucet in Oil Rubbed Bronze from Kohler.
The Parq Kitchen Faucet in Oil Rubbed Bronze from Kohler. TNS

Q: In past columns you have addressed new features with one-handle kitchen faucets, but I like the basic two-handle faucets. Since I’m about to replace my present kitchen sink and faucet, can you please address any new design features with two-handle kitchen faucets?

Arty, Michigan

A: New design features are available for two-handle kitchen faucets. Here are a couple of high-end styles for two-handle kitchen faucets.

First, you can cross over to a bridge two-handle kitchen faucet. New bridge faucets are based on the old-fashioned plumbing systems where the hot and cold valves were connected with an exposed pipe above the sink. This finished connector pipe looks like a bridge and has a high swinging spout in the center of the bridge.

If a fancy barroom-type faucet is more your style, you can drink up the benefits of a single-hole two-handle gooseneck kitchen faucet. This faucet has large, flat handles on either side of the gooseneck spout.

Note: Since you’re replacing your sink as well, both faucets can be set up for new sinks. On existing sinks, check with a licensed plumber first to see if your present sink can handle these new two-handle faucet designs.

Master contractor and plumber Ed Del Grande is the author of the book “Ed Del Grande’s House Call” and the host of TV and Internet shows. Visit eddelgrande.com or write eadelg@cs.com